retiremen tof telco copper

Got a notice about retirement of copper

Most important will dialup modems and fax work?

A while back almost had to because squirrel ate my line

My line comes in from back of house but power from front. But my phone lines branch out form middle of basement where laundry & hVAC are and there is plenty power. Grammar school chum who became electrician told me I should tell them to install fiber there. (He said some may be ornery but I would be right torequest it.)

Now new notice says I can have OPTIONAL backup power and they use D batts. Maybe they have changed?

Other than tell them to put it midhouse, do I have anything else to worry about?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

When copper goes away, so will "robust" phone systems, big central switches , and line-powered devices such as ringers and flashers (for deaf people).

What good does as battery back-up do when power goes down and your local fi ber-box (NOT backed up by batteries) goes down with it.

When Sandy struck around here, our (copper-based) phones worked just fine. Fios, Comcast and the rest of them did not until the providers put a small portable generator chained to each pole with a box. That took about 48 hour s. Some cell towers were down after their batteries local failed - again un til the providers brought in generators. But those were a bit larger. Power was out for a full seven (7) days.

Although we have a generator, our phones never failed during that time, eve n for a moment.

And for those who are really paranoid - a conventional dial-type ringer pho ne on a copper network fed from a central switch remains pretty much immune to EMPs. Lot of good that will do, except for, perhaps, the roaches.

Peter Wieck

Reply to
pfjw

Yeah, I know. The squirrel cut my line a few weeks after Sandy.

Cable and fiber were down all over my nabe during Sandy

Which brings me to ask:

Will DSL and surge filters interfere? I don't nee dthem to work. Obviously, fibe ris immune to lighnting (is it?) and the DSL never worked, but i don't rememeber wher eall the filters are.

I rememmber during the 1977 blackout I found out my line was 48volts. How do they do 48v with D batts?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

They don't use D batteries.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

DO YOU EVER THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE. I DON'T HAVE A "COPPER" LINE BUT MY LANDLINE RINGS JUST AS FINE.

SO YOU MUST HAVE HAD A LOT OF GAY FONE SEX THEN.

SO WHEN AN EMP HITS YOU CAN STILL HAVE YOUR GAY FONE SEX JUST AS LONG AS THEY SUPPORT ROTARY DIAL FONES.

Reply to
Steve & Lynn

You aren't current, Verizon is now distributing a "Voice Backup Device" which uses 12 D batteries. That's what I got when I switched to FIOS last year. I would have preferred a lead-acid gelcell rechargable, but they've discontinued those for new installs.

Reply to
Jerry Peters

The question was how do they get 48 VDC, not how home-equipment is backed u p.

To my way of thinking, not automatically providing such back-up as part of the package verges just short of criminal. Keep in mind that Great Aunt Esm eralda may not understand this distinction, and be left flapping when Great Uncle Percival needs emergency services - or vice-versa. Fine print notwi thstanding, critical services should not be a self-service thing, but they should stand on their own. Water, sewer, Phone, Power. One failing should n ot in any way affect the others. Full Stop. Only the "Phone Companies" are getting away with this. And we are sitting by allowing it to happen.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw