Resistors marked 4.7 ohm K

That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K

4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse the unwary?

N Cook

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:30:33 -0000, "N Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

K = +/- 10% tolerance.

See

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

the

I would have expected a space betweeen the omega and K or on a differnet line , but then there isn't on a 4 band resistor.

N Cook

A resistor marked 4.7K, means 4,700 ohms. The K is the multiplier for "kilo" or "X 1000"

3.3K =3D 3,300 ohms 5.6K =3D 5,600 ohms

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Jerry G.
3.3K = 3,300 ohms 5.6K = 5,600 ohms

Jerry G. ======

But that clearly wasn't what he was describing, and was the whole point of the post ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Not to mention the fact that the K (or M) often replaces the decimal point. So 4K7 is 4700 ohms.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

the

As there is some confusion a picture of one marked 6.8 instead of 4.7

N Cook

I don't think that there was any confusion amongst most of us, and Franc's answer is the right one.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In some contexts K means 10% tolerance (I think). Or is it 5%?

Reply to
mc

Regards,

Boris Mohar