REQ: pinout for AD550

This is a very old chip by Analog Devices, came out in the early 1970s. It's a four-bit current selector in a DIP package. You add your own resistors to make it a full-fledged current-output digital-to-analog converter, and in fact you can daisy-chain two or more of these chips together to made an 8-bit DAC or a 12-bit DAC, ad infinitum. Of course, this chip is hopelessly obsolete now and all I want to do is test a handful of these things. I have a datasheet (of sorts) from Analog Devices, but unfortunately it tells me everything except what I really need: the pinout of the chip! I had a copy of that datasheet gathering dust on the shelf, and it wasn't quite as helpful as I needed, so I called Analog Devices. They were very helpful and said they'd scan a copy of their datasheet and make a .PDF of it and e-mail it to me. This they did, and I am very grateful. Only problem is, it's an exact copy of the datasheet I had to begin with, and it does not include the pinout. I figure if the manufacturer doesn't have this info anymore, it's time to yell for help.

Details:

Manufacturer: Analog Devices Date of manufacture: early 1970s Part number: AD550 Description: Four-bit current selector

Needed: pinout so I can bench-test a handful of these things to verify their proper operation

Anybody got this information on papyrus or chiseled into stone anywhere? I'd be much appreciative. :)

Thanks!!!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA Arlington, TX

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:12:07 -0500, "Matt J. McCullar" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I believe that device may have been the subject of US patent number

3747088:

See page 5 of the PDF document for a circuit diagram.

Devices 10A, 10B, 10C are the quad switches. Whether they match the pinout of the AD550, I don't know.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hi, I don't know if this is of help, in my D.A.T.A book (1980) the pinout for the AD550 is listed but not the pinout, but the AD533 , which appears to be a similar device with higher dissapation has a logic diagram/pinout.

Reply to
Archon

Sorry, make that AD553, not AD533, not enough coffee this morning. JC

Reply to
Archon

Thanks very much for the help, group! That all helps a lot. I do appreciate it!

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar