Replacement laptop ps connection ?

Erratic connection, not bad solder problem to pcb, internal failure probably loss of plating contact surface. Seems pointless trying to replace original dual concentric "socket", bound to be proprietary and so will also fail after warranty + 1 year. Some sort of polarised mateable line plug and socket with a well anchored stub of lead , soldered to the pcb inside, instead. The diverter switch in the socket just switches an LED on and off and has been defunct for ages anyway. So just 2 wire line connectors male and female for 20V ,3A. But what type of non bulky, hopefully side by side axial connections, ie not like

3.5mm (
Reply to
N_Cook

I have replaced some of these in the past on a number of different laptops without any problem. I have not had a problem finding generic replacements either.

What laptop are you working on?

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

3-pin Din connector?

or mini XLR?

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I like the idea of mini XLR. I don't like the idea of locking connection as leaves little chance of a tripped over lead not trashing the pc. It reminded me I've some nice expensive NOS surplus line-LEMO connectors, I'll investigate how easy it is to butcher the latch function on them

Reply to
N_Cook

I like the idea of mini XLR. I don't like the idea of locking connection as leaves little chance of a tripped over lead not trashing the pc. It reminded me I've some nice expensive NOS surplus line-LEMO connectors, I'll investigate how easy it is to butcher the latch function on them

Maybe scale them smaller using Hard Drive magnets?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

How about gluing a modified USB connector on the outside of the laptop? Cut the plastic connector inside so a standard USB can't mate to the modified connector? Like have a bar across the middle to block the standard type.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson