reparing battery pack

Just because you don't know who makes them doesn't mean they don't exist.

You can also say, "Nobody pounded their pud at the Post Office" but that doesn't mean that Sitre Magana wasn't caught beating off at the Post Office.

Reply to
Stephany Alexander

When I rebuild my drill battery pack with new C nicads do I have to stay in the same mAh rating. The originals are 1300mAh, I can replace them with 2300mAh cells with tabs. Or even 4000mAh ones. Will more mAh hurt the drill?

--
LSMFT

Force shits upon the Back of Reason...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
LSMFT

"LSMFT"

** Nope.

But it will take proportionally longer to charge as the mAh rating goes up.

BTW:

Who makes 4000mAh Ni-Cds in C size ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Giant HUH ????????

I already found that Sanyo make 3600mAh Ni-Cd cells in C size.

Fast charge types too - very cool cells.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Better question, will it charge with the stock charger.

Meat Plow

It should, unless the stock charger /required/ special cells for rapid charge, or some other condition.

Using NiMH cells should eliminate any problem, as they (generally) tolerate rapid charging. I used regular NiMH cells for a Polaroid #365 electronic flash, and the #363 rapid charger handles them fine, even though it was designed for rapid-charge nicads.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

LSMFT wrote in news:QRCcp.27351$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

No,they will not hurt your drill,as long as the pack voltage remains the same. it will draw the current it needs,and no more. Makita switched their packs from NiCd to NiMH for an increase in run time,NiMH having more mAH,a higher energy density than NiCd. the drills stayed the same,the charger is where the difference is,for the different battery chemistry. NiMH have to be charged differently than NiCds.

NiMH are better cells,IMO. they keep a charge longer,besides their higher mAH.

I've never seen 4000mAH sub-C NiCd cells,who makes them?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'd read somewhere that as mA rating goes up for a given cell size the insulators get thinner and the battery is more at risk from heat (during charge and discharge) than lower mA cells.

Someone more knowledgeable re. battery chemistry can probably answer here or at

sci.chem.electrochem.battery

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike Cook

I'd be cautious of the charger meeting the requirements of 2300 mAh cells without it struggling.

Been dealing with these issues for many years in battery packs for my handy talkies. I have a spare 7.2v 1400 mAh pack for my Vertex FT-60. It won't charge slow but drop it in the rapid charger and it charges just fine. Doesn't make much sense. I own a Maha multi charger that uses a temp probe placed on the cells to help decide the charge.

I switched to all NMiH AAA cells for our keyboards/mice hand held GPS etc.. Two chargers ant 4 packs of 2300 mAh cells. Smartest thing I've done in awhile.

Meat Plow

The charger doesn't "know" the cell's capacity. It just pumps current into it. The better class of chargers shuts off when a particular cell voltage (and/or some other condition) has been reached.

I have two MAHA C9000 chargers. I wish they'd been available 40 years ago.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If it's just a brainless charge that's correct.

Forget the model of mine. It was a model probably circa 1996 because AES had just started to advertise their products. It wasn't something to just pop 4 AAA cells into. It could charge several different styles. I don't use it these days since I've bought drop in rapid chargers. It's at my office in the basement with the rest of my junk or I'd give the model.

Meat Plow

I'm so accustomed to 0.1C charging that I rarely set the C9000 for greater than 0.3C -- even though 0.5C charges are /recommened/ by MAHA for its own cells. I'm afraid of overheating the cells.

The C9000 can do a lot of useful stuff -- break in new cells, rejuvenate old cells (supposedly), and measure cell capacity. The latter is useful for assembling packs with closely matched cells. You should also check capacity when you buy cells, as they're sometimes out of spec. (MAHA says the tolerance is +/- 10% of the rated value. MAHA will replace low-capacity cells.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Nope. My friend Ryan Morris tells me that if you replace it with 4000mAh cells, you will giving it 4000mA when it was only designed to take 1300mA.

Reply to
Sitre Josephenne Magana

I would not seek electrical advise from that friend in the future.

David

Reply to
David

You need to get a new friend....

Reply to
Spamm Trappe

Spamm Trappe Inscribed thus:

I agree !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

** Shame that ain't a Ni-Cd cell.......

NiMH cells have up to 4 times the capacity of Ni-Cds, at least in AA size.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison