Repairng Proprietary FDS Floppy Drive. Quick Disk drive

I need some tips on how to get a floppy drive working. It is in a nintedo disk system it is similar to Quick Disk drives of 20 years ago. Someone else already tried replacing the drive belt and it still didn't work. There is also a speed adjustment. Does anyone have a service manual for one of these floppys. I think the read head (single sided) may be out of alignment. I know you can use a scope with a service manual to adjust a normal floppy drive. Any ideas?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:49:49 -0400, "Michael Kennedy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I think it will be difficult, if not impractical, to attempt a head alignment without an alignment diskette. As for adjusting the speed, if you know the target RPM, and if it is a multiple of your mains frequency, then it should be a simple matter to design a paper strobe disc that you could attach to the drive motor and watch under a fluorescent light.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

else

these

Neon glow lamp works much better.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where to start with the paper disk idea. Sounds like what they used to have on the bottom of IBM 5.25 floppy drives in the early 80's. Befor I was born but I have worked on about every kind of pc from an 8086 up to today's stuff.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:47:10 -0400, "Michael Kennedy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Let's say the FDD spins at 300 RPM. That's 5 revs/sec. Assume mains frequency is 60Hz. Make a paper disc with 24 sectors alternating black and white. Assume that at time zero the strobe flash illuminates a black sector. The next flash arrives 1/60 sec later, at which time the motor will have rotated through 1/12 (=5/60) rev. This means that the same image will now be under the strobe, making it appear stationary.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"James Sweet" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Oct 05 02:36:26) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Repairng Proprietary FDS Floppy Drive. Quick Disk drive"

JS> From: "James Sweet" JS> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344432

JS> Neon glow lamp works much better.

A small panel light (#47 etc) with a rectifier diode in series is fine too. Just take into account that the flicker rate will be 60Hz with this but it will be 120Hz with the neon. I guess one could always put a rectifier in series with the neon.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Electrical Engineers do it with more frequency and less resistance.

Reply to
Asimov