Repairing NiCd battery packs

I have a nice 14.4V Dustbuster where the battery pack is pretty much unsable right now. It's a nice vac. I bought a new 18V one with a removable battery, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

I took the 14.4V battery pack apart. It contains 12 sub-C size cells. 4 show 0V, while the rest are showing about 1V (it's not fully charged.)

Has anyone had any luck in replacing individual cells? There are no markings on the batteries, so I have no idea what their capacity is. These are chained together with short metal strips that are spot-welded to the batteries. How easy/hard would it be to solder to them, and will it damage the batteries if I try?

I have found direct replacement packs at some sites, but at $30+, I wonder if it's worth it. It's as much as a new vac, but then the new vacs seem to be pretty crappy.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

The problem with replacing /individual/ cells is that, even if they're exactly the same cell used in the original battery pack, the new cells will have higher capacity, increasing the chance of cell reversal. You really should replace all the cells.

My experience with Black & Decker's OEM battery packs -- if you can find them -- is that they hold up well. I wouldn't purchase a third-party battery pack, unless the supplier offers an iron-clad guarantee.

You might consider putting together a battery pack of 2500mAh or 2700mAh AA NiMH cells. You'll get higher capacity, though the battery will take longer to reach full charge.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"Andrew Rossmann"

** Best to replace the lot.
** See above.
** Try to get cells that have tags fitted to them.

These are very easy to solder with any decent soldering iron and flux cored solder ( not lead free) as used for electronic work.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I do it that way. Flux and quick tin tab and cell. I use a 250 watt Wen gun type. With high wattage the quicker it will solder with less heat expanse on the cell. WW

Reply to
WW