repairing a switch mode plug pack

OK. However, you did say that " the OP has reached a dead end ... " and Ross was not the OP. Hence my ' mistake ' ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sorry Dave...I went back and followed the thing more closely, and I see what you were referring to. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Sorry, I did say that, you're right. My reply was to Ross Herbert's post and I erroneously used the term 'OP'.

My apologies :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Are we talking about the same post? I'm referring to the one I posted at

17:41 on the 21st May. I replied to Ross, and even quoted his post, I don't see how your newsreader is showing me replying to the OP. Even Arfa acknowledged that I was replying to Ross when I pointed it out.

The only thing that could have caused confusion is that in a subsequent post I erroneously referred to Ross as the OP.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

No worries Tom, ignore my other reply then ;-)

Sometimes Usenet drives me insane trying to follow threads, I often lose track of who said what myself.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

No sweat Dave, no apologies required. I often find that threads get screwed when 95% of the posters are following the bottom posting convention, and the odd 5% are top posting out of sequence ...

And now I'm off to jump on the big smoking metal bird, which is gonna take me and mine to the sun for a week or so ...

Catch y'all when I get back d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Hi Dave, yes I will do the cap swap next. I know the electro's are ok because I checked not only value and ESR, but also Q. From correspondence with the OP he found the 100nF cap (Ct) at pin 4 of the

3842 was "leaky". The problem may be due to the fact that most of the caps around the IC are 50V monolithic ceramics, including Ct, and while the voltage rating would seem to be adequate, I would feel better if they were 100V MKT film. So that is what I plan to do.
Reply to
Ross Herbert