Repair/replace Advice Needed

Hello all,

I have recently acquired (for free) an older Mitsubishi VS-5071 Projection TV (1993 model) that has been in storage for a few years, and barely used before that. The color seems fine, however there is a noticeable amount of distortion in parts of the picture. Whole rows of the image "jiggle"--much in the way a VCR image played when the tracking was off (too fast or too slow). Not the "snow" kind of noise, mind you, just the fluttering left and right of image in portions/rows of the screen (partial pincushioning?). The image distortion seems to be worst near high light/dark contrast areas, but it does happen even in lower-contrast areas. The distortion happens mostly near the bottom 1/3 of the display, but is not limited entirely to that area either.

I have tried a number of the obvious steps: different inputs (EXT-1, 2, and

3), different devices (VCR, Satellite Box, Video Camera), turning down/up the contrast and brightness settings on the set. I've crawled over the web a good amount and cannot locate the user guide (the set didn't come with one from my source).

I have two basic questions:

1) Is there a simple self-service adjustment I can perform to reduce or eliminate this distortion? I am not afraid to open the unit and service it myself (I have already done so just to clean out the inside chassis), and am pretty confident that I could perform a simple adjustment if that is all that is required.

2) Is it worth it to have this set serviced/adjusted professionally, or would the cost of that kind of home-service-call be so expensive (above $300) that I should get rid of the set and get something else?

Any advice here would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Mitchell Freeman

Art