Repair or despair? Natalie or Jim?

The Mi5 poster has every right to post, but to bring you uptodate, here is a brief resume of this usenet legend: His name is Mike Corley. He is part of usenet history. He also was a champion tap-dancer in 1962/63 and 1966.

Mike lives in Clapham, South London, he first began his postings to usenet, BBS, and online forums back in 1996, which is long before most of you, especially google gropers, learned of he internet let alone knew how to use it. But Mikes paranoia of alleged MI5 persecution can be traced back as far 1990, when newspaper editors, TV newsdesks, magazine reviewers, radio shows et al, first received Mike's reports of his harassment by UK security services and MI5 operatives.

Mike has his own website:

There have been numerous newspaper articles and online thesis about Mike's postings, this is a BBC article on the subject:

And amongst many other covers of the Mike Corley phenomenon there has been a modern opera about this usenet legend:

What the current flood is all about is hinted at in the X-posts. He percieves uk.misc to be an MI5 infiltrated group. And Mike is flooding it. But also it is included in the X-posts because he knows many always respond to his posts, and you in turn flood the group uk.misc.

Reply to
Clarissa

Fuck, I had broadband in 1996.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Exactly.

I had a Rat Shack M100 back in, what--1983. Complete with dialup.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I had a LAPTOP in 1983. Epson HX-20.

So there !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And just what did you think an M100 was/is? I didn't get mine until

1984, but I used it until well into the 90's.

So...where?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

And lemme guess, that's what you're using to poast to Usenet :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Follow-ups changed to sci.electronics.repair only

I _made_ a laptop in 1983-84: ZX-81 cpu board + internal expansion bus + microcassette drive (on the bus) + bar code wand (on the bus) + thermal printer (on the bus) + 64kB ram + micro CRT display on gooseneck at rear of case, all built into a converted TI-994/A housing with it's keyboard. The cassette was embedded into the case at the left rear. To view the display, you pressed your eye into the 'viewfinder' rubber hood and had a 320x200 graphics or 80x24 char alpha display (b&w). O/S and apps were loaded from the cassette, ROM contained a debug monitor. One could also use the audio interface to load and store from magtape recorders and the bus was brought external to permit expansion for RS232, etc. I needed to add lots of bus logic and power control circuitry; the battery was a drop-in nicad pack at the right rear of the case (similar in concept to modern powertool packs). With the CRT off, I could get 12 hours of continuous runtime. I also gave the cassette and bar code wand poweroff controls which extended runtime.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Oh yeah? Well, I had a VAX in 1979 with a 300 baud modem.

That *WAS* broadband in 1979...

Reply to
=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$

PDP11/34A with VT52(?) display terminal round about same time, with 'high speed' phone modem with two rubber sockets that the phone hanset jammed into !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I STARTED with a PDP-11/03 with the same phone/cradle setup.

My favorite thing (I was at school, with two campuses 5 miles apart).

Go to the remote campus, log on and type "open KB## as input".

Then wait for someone on the other side to type in "hello" to log in. Then the fun began!

Reply to
=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$
*snipping assorted geekery*

Nerds.

;-D

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

It's a REPAIR group for goodness sake ! We are nerds and geeks by nature, not because we were playing big boys' computers before you were born ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" ...

Lighten up - I was joking. This is also cross-posted to a Toyota group. I don't think personal computers existed before 1958, by the way.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Yeah - jokin' too. No offence intended !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

Mea culpa - your post sounded pissy to me.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

"And then does the man pee on the woman?" "Sometimes, but that's $20 extra." -- Robert Schimmel

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Er...that wouldn't be a body fluid I'd want shared.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

I've been on Usenet since it was DARPAnet/UUNet...

So what?

Reply to
=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$

"Early Adopters"