Repair of Tektronics 2246 100MHZ Oscilloscope ( Clicks won't power up)

Hello All,

I'm trying to repair a oscilloscope I have. The problem started gradually and now will not power up.

Its a Tektronics 2246 100 MHZ oscilloscope. I have the factory repair manual and schematics, but this problem is not covered in the manual.

Here is what happens. When I turn on the oscilloscope, I hear a clicking from a relay. It clicks over and over and the oscilloscope won't power on. It used to click a couple times, then it would power up. So I'm looking for some kind advice on what might be wrong. I'm thinking since it started gradually then stopped one day, perhaps its a filter capacitor.

If you have some advice...I'll all eyes.

George

Reply to
oscllitr

Sounds suspiciously like a switch mode power supply trying to start, but for some reason, can't. Since this problem was a gradual thing, it certainly sounds like electrolytic capacitor(s) in the power supply. Start there.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

Thanks Dave,

Will do. One thing about this scope....its a pain in the a-- to take the thing apart.

I'll report back with my 'success' if it so happens.

George

Reply to
oscllitr

I'll second that! That power supply cage sucks to get into. I stay away from any of the 22XX series

Reply to
JW

I second the opinion that it's probably bad electrolytics in the power supply. That happens often in Tek 'scopes.

I also second the opinion that Tektronix 'scopes are not known for falling apart like a two-dollar suit when you want to disassemble them. :)

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

Check out :-

you might get some info

G ..

Reply to
Graham

"Matt J. McCullar" wrote in news:wbxMk.4577$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

Ditto.

the 224X series were not very serviceable scopes. but it's not too hard to remove the power supply. Go in from the top.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik