Repair a Sony Walkman Boombox

I have a Sony walkman boombox which can be run by battery and via plug. Although it continues to work well when it is plugged in, it will not even turn on with a fresh set of batteries. I know it is old but I really don't want to discard it. I am willing to do a litte probing and soldering. I have little info as to how to go about troubleshooting this. I have searched the web looking for useful websites but cannot find any. Are there any books, websites that would be helpful in identifying the problem and how to fix it. Also, obtaining parts. Any helpful info greatly appreciated.

Reply to
chipster

Actually, I would first look for loose connections. Has a wire come loose that leads from the battery compartment to the rest of the circuitry?

Reply to
mc

It's quite common on any of these that use a ' figure 8 ' power connector, for the three pins on the power changeover switch, mounted on the back of the figure 8 socket, to fracture their solder joints, or even for the pins themselves to snap off. It's caused by the repeated insertion and removal of the lead over the years. Depending on which pins go bad, the symptoms can be no battery operation, no line power operation, or just plain dead. Might not be in your case, but it sounds old enough to have this trouble, and I have done many over the years.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Two things are possible:

It may have a switch in the back labeled AC/Batt or something similar. It has not been set to battery mode for portable use.

  1. Most, if not all boomboxes with a remote will only power on from the remote when the unit is plugged in to the wall. Try operating the unit off batteries by using the front panel buttons.
Reply to
Erich Schultheis, the man that

Yes I have seen this too. Also if that changeover switch is ok there might be a a problem with contacts being corroded due to battery fluid having leaked into the battery compartment. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Thank You all for your imput. I will try to troubleshoot based on your imput. Wish me luck. Any other comments greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I make out.

Reply to
chipster