"refurbished" lamps?

The halogen fuser lamp in my HP 4M has apparently bit the dust. (I'll know for sure tomorrow when I do a continuity check.)

I looked for replacements. Most companies won't reveal whether they're selling real HP parts, or third-party units (of unknown quality).

The most-amusing site was the following. I leave it for readers to judge for themselves.

"'We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's a common problem with old printers. For 117VAC, you want an HP RH7-4046

You can get it directly from HP. Ooops. No, you can't. So, there are some on eBay and others: I probably have a few in stock. Bug me via email if you can't find any. They're NOT genuine HP.

You might also consider a fuser assembly swap. RG5-0879

Getting the fuser assembly out is easy enough. Getting the lamp out of the fuser assembly is not easy. The heat has probably made the black plastic ends rather brittle. Brute force is a bad idea. You may also want to replace some of the plastic gears, which tend to be worn. Keep your fingers off the lamp. If you touch it, clean the lamp with 90% alcohol.

hp laserjet 4 and 4plus how to rebuild and fix Fuser RG5-0879

I just told a friend to toss an HP LJ4 that he had in storage for many years. Too slow and old. I would get a new printer, but we've been through this before.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

They seem to go out around every 10 years. This is the second time it's happened.

And an RH7-4048 for 240V.

The prices are all over the place. A genuine HP runs from $27 to over $60. I found non-HP lamps for $4.50 -- but they want $10 for shipping.

Found several on eBay, from $25 to $40.

I wasn't aware of the brittleness of the plastic. I'll look closely. Fortunately, I have the service manual, which makes things easier.

Fingerprints on a halogen lamp are a no-no. When I replaced my slide projector's lamp, I cleaned it just to be safe.

Looks mucho useful. Almost everything is on YouTube, isn't it?

"Unfortunately", the 4- and 5-series LaserJets were made by Canon and are classics. Yes, it's slow on graphics, but I don't use it heavily enough to justify a new printer. Other than the toner cartridge and fuser lamp, it will probably outlive me. What would I buy of the same quality?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

junk descriptions like that means the part is a pull from a scrap pile from a bank or hospital.

it's likely to not even work at all.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If they are 'real' HP parts, I'd seriously doubt if they are newly manufactured. Re-manufactured, probably.

I bought a fuser assy. from them a couple of years ago to repair my HP LJ III -- with no difficulty. Still grinding along -- albeit with low volume usage.

HTH Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia