Recommendations orExperience with Delta Electronics DPS-310CD?

Hi,

Recently my IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre(Tower) would not turn on. There was no indication of failure on last run.

Did some power supply problem searching and one thing mentioned was a blown fuse.

Took the cover off and checked for leaking or bulging caps but found none.

Also checked for std fuse but also found none. Am wondering if it may have a fusible link?

Also searched for the schematics for the DPS-310CD but to date have not found any.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Recently I had a power supply in a computer that was going bad. It wouldn't work properly until it was warm. I replaced it but before I did I found that directing the warm air from a blow dryer through the fan and warming the power supply would allow it to turn on. Once on it would stay on. The hair dryer was a good way to determine that it was the power supply and not the computer itself that was the problem. Advice from the folks on the group helped too. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Probably some bad capacitors in the supply.

I had a piece of equipment with a power supply that had lots of capacitors in it. I found the bad ones by directing the hot air from my hot air rework station at them. I may have replaced some that were ok, but they are inexpensive compaired to a new supply. Actually can not get a new one, but a company repaires them for about $ 150.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi

Update since posting.

Did not get an immediate response so went to Youtube and searched using dia gnosis repair Delta Electronics DPS-310CD ATX power supplies got ~ 197 resu lts. Then started watching the videos.

One thing mentioned was to wait a while for caps to discharge so decided to take plenty of time and waited until this morning to test.

First thing I did was to recheck all the caps for bulges or leaks. Found n one. Also rechecked for burn marks on pc board and components. Also found none. Still was unable to identify anything that looked like a fuse. Wou ld be nice to find a schematic for DPS-310CD. Have done some searching but to date have not found one.

Then decided to try starting. Followed the connect green and black wires o f main power connector

to start and was surprised that green lit e on PSU came on and got readings of 11.89V for yellow and black, and 5.15V for red and black wires of a parallel HDD connector.

Am wondering if 11.89V for HDDs is too low? I do not have a scope to check the wave form but the readings were stable on my meter.

Reply to
KenO

Update cont.

Forgot to mention the Fan came on when started..

Reply to
KenO

Eric,

"Recently I had a power supply in a computer that was going bad. It wouldn't work properly until it was warm. I replaced it but before I did I found that directing the warm air from a blow dryer through the fan and warming the power supply would allow it to turn on. Once on it would stay on."

Any ideas why it needed to be warm?

Reply to
KenO

Ralph,

"I had a piece of equipment with a power supply that had lots of capacitors in it. I found the bad ones by directing the hot air from my hot air rework station at them."

That was what I was expecting to find!

Reply to
KenO

I was told by some folks here who know about this stuff that failing electrolytic capacitors will sometimes work better once warm. They do not need to be bulging to be bad or going bad. Eric

Reply to
etpm

parallel HDD connector.

11.89 is fine for the 12 volt line.