Real photos of Highway 17 and Skyline in the Santa Cruz Mountains this week

yes, and rather well. it's the jersey drivers that you have to watch out for.

apparently so.

Reply to
nospam

Not at all. In fact I was expressly stating that they should not be Photoshopped. Your posting came just at the point that the Duck and I were having a discussion about Photoshopping images. The gist of which is that he and I shoot for different purposes.

--
PeterN
Reply to

He couldn't have been going very fast by the time he left the road by the looks of his van. Though I'm sure the mud was pretty soft there would still have been a lot body damage to the van if he was traveling very fast. Musta been a pretty big surprise when the van dropped into that hole. Eric

Reply to
etpm

"We hear all the time that growers use 80 percent of California's water. And state officials do say California's 9 million acres of farmland consume that much. But that's 80 percent of human water use."

"Statewide, average water use is roughly 50% environmental, 40% agricultural, and 10% urban..."

It's a conspiracy to make you thirsty so that you'll drop into an overpriced convenience store for something to drink.

Hardly. It's the current reality. Government believes that you need to be told what to do and what not to do. That's what laws are all about. You need to be told how to behave because otherwise, you might go around leaving the water running, or commit some other crime against the environment. Just salute as you drive by the sign and you'll be all right.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

The natives of the City and its environs, only do so when necessary. At least not during the rush hour.

--
PeterN
Reply to

then why is there so much traffic in midtown?

Reply to
nospam

It's always possible that the hole got there after the van did.

--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Eric Stevens

Kinda looks like mostly taxi cabs, buses, delivery vans, tour buses, but very few private vehicles. Even if he had experience driving in New York city, he couldn't have been driving very fast.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

he could on roads outside of midtown itself.

Reply to
nospam

he was driving too fast for conditions and not paying attention either.

hopefully he learned a lesson. probably not though.

maybe.

pedestrians don't usually stand in the road so it's rarely an issue.

however, there are definitely stupid ones who step into moving traffic expecting that the vehicles will stop, or they don't even bother looking to see if there is any traffic at all. stupidity is not limited to just drivers.

at least for people who step into traffic, they learn a quick lesson and likely won't do it again, usually because they're unable to walk anymore or dead.

Reply to
nospam

It's clear from the news item that he actually misjudged the situation. He thought he was driving through mud, which probably something he could have got away with, but in fact he was driving into a hole ...

Driver error.

--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Eric Stevens

That thingy looked more lie a wormhole...

--
teleportation kills
Reply to

Yes... It could have been an occurrence of an unscheduled twist in the time space continuum. The boss gets vimy occasionally! ;-))

--
teleportation kills
Reply to

Actually, even in 1966, there were a million cars registered in NYC, I would expect it to be higher now. Atlhough I suppose the rate was lowest in Manhattan.

And of course conservatives don't distort the facts. If you believe liberals do it more, well...

But I do think they should put in a bridge when there is a gap this long. ;-)

I'm glad you weren't washed away.

But what is the vertical thing on the left? It's 2 or 3 feet tall.

Maybe you could mount a tube horizontally, on a weather vane so it faces the wind.

Reply to
micky

that's what i said. stupid driver syndrome.

unfortunately, he's still driving and putting others in danger.

Reply to
nospam

He could be right. The undermined paving, covered with mud probably collapsed under the weight of the car...

--
teleportation kills
Reply to

Vehicles double and triple parked slows things down. A very high percentage is business traffic.

--
PeterN
Reply to

Now that you have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference between stupidity, carelessness, and ignorance, what mnore are you showing us. No don't bother.

--
PeterN
Reply to

Temporary concrete "Jersey" highway barriers: It's a convenient place to anchor the tarps. However, putting all that weight on a crumbling roadway does not seem like a good idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

One time I drove from Brooklyn to the Upper West Side during rush hour without getting stuck in traffic once. I think this might have been when part of the Westside Highway was closed too, because I suppose I would have taken that if it were open. . I'm not sure I remember how, but I think I went west to avoid the Holland tunnel traffic, then east for a one way avenue, then west again to avoid Lincoln Tunnel traffic, and then to 10th Avenue / Amsterdam Avenue and up to 86th St.

I knew how to park for cheap at the Fulton Fish Market too, which was open until about 8:30AM and had room after that. Although eventually they moved the fish market to the Bronx.

New York City news report: We have bad news and good news to report. The bad news is that the world will end tomorrow. The good news is that alternate side of the street parking regulations have been suspended.

Reply to
micky