Re: The saga of the wooden San Jose Schools BATHROOM PASS continues

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:05:09 -0400:

Have the teacher example dat ass every time it comes > back, and if there are any letters missing, apply > the board of education to the seat of wisdom.

It's funny, but, apparently the teacher didn't want to tell me that the spray-painted letters didn't last a week at the school.

She thought I would be upset.

I took it as a challenge, to see if I could keep a bunch of high-school hoodlums at bay. You can't defeat them, but, you can make it hard for them.

So, with the letters now deeply routered (is that a verb?), and the knife marks in the back sanded out, and the back painted black so that the gang graffiti is covered, I think I just made it a bit harder for them to vandalize it.

Of course, the teacher told me they unscrewed her desk and hid it two classes down the hall, so, they're formidable opponents.

But, they are kids, after all, and so, I hope that by the end of the year, I'll have a system (titanium perhaps?) that they can't deface!

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

Ideally, the kids are supposed to be learning obedience to law, and some other things like that. If they are defacing the potty pass, maybe they can hold it till class is over? Are these illegal non citizens who started their visit to our country by violating the border laws?

I'm not encouraged when our border agencies permit such incredible disrespect for law.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Historically, [may be urban myth] first generation border crossing people make better citizens than residents.

More likely, these children are raised without any concept of accountability. The thought process is that any action that is not 'caught' is allowed, simply by definition. There is no higher concept of accountability. No love of righteousness. They are actually 'practicing' the principles they'll use in adulthood by emulating the examples constantly being shown to them by the 'adults' who should know better.

Reply to
RobertMacy

RobertMacy wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 05:38:54 -0700:

I think it's a small percentage of the overall class, and, I think, over time, this dissatisfied percentage falls out of the system, either as dropouts, or failures.

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:23:28 -0700:

I'll betcha they won't (can't) deface that!

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:40:21 -0700:

The teacher told me most of the really bad kids have been suspended by now.

I guess there's no way to not leave a child behind when they *want* to be left behind.

I think, in California, they can be emancipated at something like 16, which is the age these kids are around.

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:16:36 -0700:

I'm sorry about that Oren. Unless you're happy about it. School isn't for all kids, especially the kind of kid who likes to do it his own way, and the ones who don't like sitting down at a desk for 180 days in a row.

Reply to
Danny D.

John Paquay wrote, on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 04:51:58 -0400:

She's brand new to teaching, but, it turns out that classroom management is a standard problem in these multi-ethnic San Jose schools.

One teacher uses a bathroom plunger, as his bathroom pass.

What it (attempts to) accomplish is the reduce undue interruptions of the classroom environment.

We all know that the kids can go to the bathroom plenty of other times, but, all kids will take advantage of a "free pass" out of jail, if even for only 10 minutes (which they can synchronize with other friends, if they're clever).

What the pass does, first and foremost, is it discourages such intents. Also, it allows the teacher to continue teaching, uninterrupted, as the students just get up, grab the pass, and return, unannounced.

It also is very clear to everyone, what the purpose of the kid is, whether grabbing the pass or walking the hallways. It's also not something they can leave hidden in the hallway while they surreptitiously run a'muck about the hallways or outdoors to catch a smoke or whatever.

Likewise, it prevents multiple kids (from the same classroom anyway) leaving the room at any one time.

Furthermore, it's obvious to all whether the bathroom pass is in use or not. It's like the red sign on an airplane bathroom door showing it's in use, rather than what we have to do at a McDonalds, which is to jiggle the doorknob repeatedly to find out if someone is in there.

And, being so large (on purpose), the kids, who almost certainly don't like it, can't lose it easily.

At the very least, it's objectionable to carry (as you noted), which would further discourage the unnecessary potty breaks.

Rest assured, this teacher has at least one kid a day out of her 200, walk out on the class without excuse. She has kids banging on the table, and calling her a b*ch, and plenty of disciplinary problems, all of which are common through all the classes, as she told me most of these kids are being weeded out of the system through their behavior in *all* their classes.

I also find this behavior strange, as *my* kids have always had comments on their report cards of "very polite", "always helpful", "pitches in to volunteer every time I ask", and even once "raises hand to answer questions too often!".

Heh heh ... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ...

I think this teacher, who is brand new, is learning on the job. In California, they go through 3 semesters of graduate training, to obtain a preliminary teaching certificate, two semesters of which have on-the-job training of sorts.

Then, they're thrown to the wolves for 2 more years, until they get their preliminary teaching certificate cleared. At that point, they also get tenure (which is kind'a soon, if you ask me), and then they're bona-fide teachers.

The clearance process, apparently, starts with three weeks of training on "classroom management", which I found odd when I saw that it's the

*first* thing they re-train the preliminary-credentialed teachers on.

Out of 200 kids that she has, she estimated, to me, that about 10% are the ones using the bathroom pass constantly. The rest sit and listen.

You have to remember these are Algebra classes, where probably only a small percentage of the kids (maybe 1/3?) actually care to learn it. It's a required class for the rest, which they hope to never see again during the rest of their lives.

When is the last time you or I graphed a quadratic equation, for example? Could each of us solve a binomial equation to save our lives? (Building suspension bridges in the redwoods notwithstanding... :)

Danny D.

I've suspected since the beginning that the bathroom pass is just a bandaid on a larger problem. This supports my guess.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

The local high school has a single person restroom in each classroom. Problem, solved.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Parents dumping defective kids on the school system.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I was a kid, the only classrooms with bathrooms were kindergarten classrooms. I guess it does make sense that they all would now.

Reply to
krw

It's a lot less disruption to the class. I saw them during the last hurricane, when the building was used as a shelter for the disabled and senior citizens.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

CA is noted for the liberal left leaning culture. Very possible the entire school system is run on self esteem, and fragile feelings, instead of old fashioned tried and true.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was a kid, schools didn't have bathrooms. At home, my mother made us bathe every week.

Reply to
J Burns

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:52:10 -0400:

Does anyone here have high school kids? Would you ask *them* what they use for a bathroom pass? I'd be interested in the results.

Reply to
Danny D.

Less interruption? How so? When we were in high school (long before) there were no "bathroom passes". Classes were 50 minutes with 10 minutes between. Young adults were expected to be potty trained.

Reply to
krw

OK, Abe. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Wait for the class to get over, then skip the next.

Reply to
krw

By letting them get up and use it quickly without interrupting the class to ask for the pass and the time it took to return it. Some people have medical problems, and the need arises without much warning.

We had five minutes between classes. Then the principal retired. His replacement cut it to three minutes between classes and turned off the bells even though the clock system needed a lot of work. It turned into a real mess when hundreds of kids were sent to the principal's office for being tardy for each class. The teachers used whatever their watch said, and no two were the same.