Re: Replacing older Kenmore washing machine timer.

>>> The model number is 110.26912691. The problem is the timer control >>> knob just spins >> >> Does the knob spin on the shaft or does the shaft spin but you don't >> hear any clicking noises. >> >> If you can't answer this question, pull the knob off and use pliers >> to turn the shaft. Now answer the question above. >> >> If it's the former, glue the knob on the shaft. If the latter, you >> probably need a new timer. >> >> but does not actually rotate the timer mechanism therefore there is >> no >>> way to start the washing cycle. I am trying to help someone in a >>> remote location replace the timer. The main problem is that they >>> can't figure out how to remove the control knob. I looked at my own >>> Kenmore washing machine from 1998 and all you have to do is to get >>> access to the back of the timer, then use some needle nose pliers >>> and pull the crescent shaped center pin 3/8 of an inch. Then the >>> knob comes off very easily. I watched a few youtube videos showing >>> one method where you push the knob in and then turn the knob >>> counter-clockwise. That method doesn't seem to work. The knob spins >>> freely and won't unscrew. Here is a photo of the back side of the >>> timer. >>>

When the knob is pushed in, it spins AND SO DOES THE SHAFT without any clicking noises. I think what has happened is whatever mechanism that engages the shaft to the gears inside the timer is broken. Since the mechanism's gears are not applying any locking action in the counter-clockwise direction, the knob cannot be unscrewed. This knob is not like the other knobs on the washer. It needs to be unscrewed. It cannot be directly pulled off. The only solution I can think of is to put some glue inside the back of the timer where the shaft is. Maybe it will lock the shaft into place so the knob could be unscrewed.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA