Re: Removing Large Electrolytics

+1 for can-opening it to save wear and tear on the board. If you

> measure 45 ohms ESR in-circuit, it won't be better by itself.

Well, it's hardly surprising for an electro of this age. Clearly the original component from a scope with a s/n indicating it was manufactured

44 years ago! What was more surprising was that only 2 out of 6 electros in the PSU section showed abnormal readings (the remaining faulty one has gone leaky).
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sounds about par for the course. Go back further to paper caps and it'd be a surprise to find any still working properly. And yes, micamold were paper caps.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You're not kidding. My largest iron is 40W/80W switchable. 40W won't touch it and I'm not risking 80W! The biggest problem seems to be the cap case - a long 1" dia aluminium tube with 3 tags at the bottom going straight to PCB grounds. It's acting like a very effective heat sink. Going to have to trash the caps from above.:(

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have a Keithley 410 Micro-Microammeter from about 1960 that has all its original electros and still works fine. Of course it uses an electrometer tube, so it takes a good couple of hours' warm-up to settle down on the 100-fA FS range, but it eventually does.

It has way more soul than my 610C(*), but really isn't nearly as good a meter. (Don't anybody tell it, though--it has an honoured place on my bench shelf.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) "Now Nortons and Indians and Greeveses won't do...They don't have a soul like a Vincent '52." -- Richard Thompson

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cursitor Doom prodded the keyboard with:

Have you tried making a soldering bit with a piece of split copper tube and a cooks torch to heat it. Apply to all the pins up at once.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

I've got a box full of the oil & paper caps that come in cubiod cans and they all tested fine (I have an awful lot of vintage spares here). Not so sure about the tubular paper caps which I assume you're talking about, though.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Moisture + acid paper + foil = mess. That'll take a lot longer if the cap has metal on five sides.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My prewar metal can paper caps are all wax sealed, and every last one tested dead as a very dead thing. The non-metal seal is where it can go wrong. Not sure why they didn't use bitumen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Enjoy your PCBs.