Re: Pre-war capacitor

I have an old EHT PSU to repair. There are 2 capacitors, one paper, one

> plywood! The paper cap, which is uncased, tests as: 420nF 11 ohms ESR, > 5% loss. I've not yet done a dc leak test, which it needs. What do you > think of those figures? IME pre-war paper caps are highly suspect. I'd > rather establish what I can before subbing it, as the construction of > the whole thing is rather characterful.

I've a few boxes full of oil/paper metal-cased capacitors I could test for comparison purposes if needs be, Tabby, but I've added s.e.r in case some kind soul there will know the answer off the top of their heads first.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What, if anything, are the markings on the caps themselves?

You ought to be able to screen a modern film cap to within a very few percent of the OEM values, go high on the voltage parameters, and go from there.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Depends which war..

Reply to
ohger1s

the cap doesn't have a case, let alone markings.

Of course I can replace it, and probably will need to, I just wanted to know if this thing might still be serviceable, if so I'll let it stay.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The short answer is No.