Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

See if you can find a WiFi scanning-and-analysis application which
works with your variety of Windows and your particular WiFi card.
They're sometimes called "site analysis" programs.

Depending on the WiFi adapter, it may be able to read out the noise
level on each of the (overlapping) WiFi channels, as well as any
actual signals it finds.

Microwave ovens emit RF in the same ISM band that WiFi B/G use (2.4
GHz).  So do many other devices, including many cordless phones.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 23:46:18 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Doesn't work with Wi-Fi.  I've tried  it.  Two problems:

1.  The tuna doesn't tune the required frequency range:
  RTL2832U / E4000   64 to 1700MHz with a gap 1100 to 1250MHz
  RTL2832U / R820T   24 to optimistically 1850MHz
There are other chip combinations, but I don't think any of them will
tune up to 2500MHz.

2.  The maxiumum RX bandwidth is 3.5Mhz.  The typical wi-fi signal is
25MHz wide with an option to go to 40MHz.  You can try to
asynchronously sweep the larger frequency range, but the display will
be slow and ugly.

There are 2.4GHz RTL-SDR spectrum analyzers that do cover the range
using a modified DirecTV upconverter:
<http://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-demonstration-of-the-rtl-sdr-receiving-wifi-and-2-4-ghz-ism-with-a-modded-sup-2400-downconverter/
<http://www.rtl-sdr.com/receive-up-to-4-5-ghz-on-your-rtl-sdr-for-5-using-a-directv-downconverter/
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=directv+SUP-2400
No experience with this, but it looks promising.

You can do better with a converted wireless mouse dongle:
<http://www.metageek.com/products/wi-spy/wi-spy-b.html
I have the original Wi-Spy dongle.  Works ok, but is not terribly
sensitive.
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/wireless/Wi-Spy/index.html

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?
Before I spend any money, I'd go to the playstore and put wifi analyzer
on an android device.  Might be all you  need...maybe...depends.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Hardly.  The three laptops have one thing in common.  They're all
talking to the same router.  Your unspecified model router might be a
problem.

Ok, it might some kind of interference, probably being picked up by
your wireless router.  Move it away from the window and put it behind
a wall that keeps your neighbors RF junk from trashing your wi-fi.  So
far, the most common and obnoxious sources of interference have been
wireless video security cameras and wireless streaming media players.
You'll see the media player on a wi-fi sniffer, but the video cameras
require a spectrum analyzer.  The most common "disconnect" or "can't
connect" problem is out of date firmware on the router.

As "Mike" suggested, sniff around with an Android phone or tablet
running "Wi-Fi Analyzer":
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Here's a list of possible interference sources which I helped scribble
many years ago:
<http://wireless.navas.us/index.php?title=Wi-Fi#Interference
The list is old so none of the modern abominations are listed (media
players, wireless TV cameras, portable hot-spots).

CAT5e is usually faster and certainly more reliable than wireless.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Hardly.  The three laptops have one thing in common.  They're all
talking to the same router.  Your unspecified model router might be a
problem."

''well then that running out is even more temporary. The old router had a g
ood wireless signal, and I had a problem with he interior net, but it would
 lose the DSL and thus the internet. Howeveer I went hunting around what th
ese Women hooked up and it was quite possible there was a DSL filter in lin
e with the MODEM. This would of course result in a low signal. But not RF.
This is RF, I lose the whole network.

I might just pick me up some CAT5 cables and be done with it.
Nobody but me is using the RF, so maybe just shut the shit off.

Cheapest I found CAT 5s was online for like five bucks. At this point I nee
d two of them. They are probably three times that much locally. Maybe I got
 some of that Yid blood because I really do not want to pay $30 for what I
can get for $10.

Not to forget I need like about 75 foot of it.

This is not that much fun. The house has hardwood floors so any drilling is
 at the corners. I wish I was at MY house where I could just drop a drill w
herever I damnwell please. Someone kill me.

Maybe I just go back to wire.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Always amazes me how they put xGhz through CAT5 over *long* runs with
negligible loss. But TX line theory was never my strong point and I
really should brush-up on it.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Cat5 doesn't work that well with 1000Base-T
Minimum requirement is Cat5e or better.
<http://www.cablek.com/technical-reference/cat-5---5e--6--6a---7--standards

The "big thing" with the faster cables is the specified slightly
different "twists per inch" of the pairs to cut down on the amount
of cross talk between pairs.

More on twisted pair in general:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Information like this, however, is wasted on jurb6006 because he
already knows everything about everything. Until he doesn't. Then
his solution is to put a bullet in it, or blame the government.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Mpffff... we just got back from a tour of Cuba (mostly Havana), and after e
xperiencing "High Tech" there, such complaints as I see here are laughable.
  We got 'internet' in the morning from about 7:00 am to about 9:00 am, whe
n the bandwidth was sucked up by 'official' uses such as government and sch
ools. Downloading a single page took perhaps an hour, and uploading - well,
 forget it. Cell coverage (ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile) was excellent, however. Bu
t at $3 per minute for phone, and $0.50 per outgoing or incoming text. But,
 one could purchase a SIM Card for about $10 CUC to solve that. We left our
 devices on Airplane Mode and enjoyed the quiet.

Yes, we did ride in several 1950s Taxis. One, a Buick with a Mercedes drive
-train, the other a Ford with a Mitsubishi drive-train (both diesel). And,
the rum, of course.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

lol it's funny because it's' true

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Maybe he should just spray everything with WD-40.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Better yet, Sherwin Williams:

<
https://pittsburghorbit.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/sherwin-williams-logo.png

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

that shit is garbage. It is barely above the quality of Glidden and its kno
ckoffs you find at the dollar store. You want real paint get Benjamin Moore
. Even better is Pratt Lambert but they make mostly bridge paint and shit l
ike that, they might not have your favorite color or texture.

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

And regardless of the brand, who's bothering to strip-down or pressure-wash the surface with soap and water?

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Fixed that for you (but it's a commie weapon!!)

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick

But...It's real popular with "real 'murkins" 'cause the
gubmint hates 'em.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

I guess he lives in one of the redneck states.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

Unfortunately "redneck states" don't have a lock on stupid.
It's everywhere.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

True. But in the Redneck states there is only limited moderation in its app
lication.

At the same time, the amount of firepower in our little historically Jewish
 plurality quite liberal Philadelphia suburban neighborhood is not insignif
icant. Those who are former or children of, or affected directly by Holocau
st Victims tend to not want such things to repeat themselves. Brownshirts a
nd their ilk would not do well around here.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

And almost everyone else here is probably similarly-minded, but just doesn't say so.

Sometimes you just have to continue shutting-off and un-plugging things in your house (maybe even elsewhere, too) until you find the interference source.
Always get the help-desk operator's name and number and give him/her your's, too
(the story then tends to go in your favor drastically)

Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?
Our neighbors just installed one of the wire-free security systems in their
 house, after which WiFi on that end of the house ceased to work, full stop
. For $22 from Amazon, we purchased a 'signal booster' that solved the prob
lem quickly and easily. Our neighbors offered to pay for it, but we decline
d. They are very good neighbors, and we needed to do something anyway as th
e distance from one end of the house to the other is just under 60 feet. Ad
d 11 feet floor-to-floor, and it adds up. Put another way, the west side of
 our house is closer to our neighbor than to our WiFi device.

But, it could be something as simple as that - a system nearby that is step
ping on your network. And, that can be anything from a Roomba to a Nest the
rmostat - or one of the new wireless security systems.

Our very-vintage desktop is hard-wired and has no issues at all. The rest o
f the devices (cell phones, laptop and tablets) are WiFi, and fine, now, wi
th the booster.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31GZ3ESs8ML._SL500_AC_SS35
0_.jpg

One of these.

Sometimes, one has to quit whining and get with the program.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Site Timeline