Re: Film capacitor as power-supply filter

> Perhaps one economic factor is that, as the cost of other components has

>> fallen, people expect the electrolytic capacitors to be very cheap also. >> The capacitors now stand out as the expensive components. And that's an >> incentive to lower standards. > > Some of them are approaching zero value. Older equipment was expected to last > 10 years or more. A lot of today's junk is lucky to last a year or two. In that > respect, the costs are going up, not down. Lower grade caps are a very high > failure item. I had one C-band receiver on the bench a few years ago. It had > about 85 electrolytics, and every one was bad Most had no brand name, and some > weren't marked for temperature. It belonged to a bar, and they needed it right > away, so they paid a large bill to have it working the next day. I generally use > Panasonic and Rubicon for repairs and my projects, these days.

Near the turn of the century a Missouri man named Chris started badcaps.net Chris' "master list" enumerates the capacitors that he trusts:

Chris also hosts a lively forum at

Although its more apropos to repair.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;