Re: Cracked resistor?

So, a customer sent me a board with the query "whuzzup?"

> > It turns out that there's a resistor in there, which I mostly put in so > that I could monitor current, but I kinda put in as a last-ditch fuse > (1.5 ohm 0603). > > On this board, the resistor is open-circuit with no discernible burning. > Is there some electronic mechanism that could cause this? Or am I just > looking at a faulty part?

I assume you've got your test prods directly on the pads so you know it's not just a dry joint?

X-posted to s.e.r (more appropriate group)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes. But making that mistake isn't beyond me, by any means. It's a very well-assembled board (I didn't do it), but well designed, too (I did it

-- and I'm modest, just ask me).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Plenty of water and the whiskey bottle has been properly drained.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The dissipation power is 200mW max.

So I lower than 0.3A.

If not, it burns !

Reply to
Look165

Hello, and the only similar problem I've encountered is with those sandy-colored dropping resistors (rectangular parallelepiped shaped) that have been used in radios and TVs. They can swell and/or crack over a period of time. Repeated heating and cooling no doubt stresses the resistor material. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

Some of those are 'Fuse Resistors', and are designed to fail open if the equipment starts drawing too much current, or if it is running too hot. I replaced hundreds, if not thousands of those in consumer electronics. Some OEMs switched to the Belfuse 'Chemical Fuses', which had a chemically coated element that would flash and vaporize the element at a set temperature.

They were quite common, in spite of Phil Allison's claim to the contrary.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.