RCD failure (the in-built test function that is)

Not been used for perhaps 8 years, tested numerous times previously in use, all fine. Go to use it again, push the test button and flash and a bang. The 1/8 watt dropper that is switched in on test, connected to supply side (240V here), partly burnt up and burned up thin traces. That 1/8 W presumably MO resistor now measures about 1.8K, residul green and brown bands, as 30mA trip, presumably was 510K. Would there be metalisation creep associated with a MO resistor? or how else could a MO resistor initially fail by "losing" ohms? Obviously it would not have dropped to 1.8K in storage, just low enough to overheat during half a second or so of powering, then runaway/sputtering.

Reply to
N_Cook

If an instrument is "rode hard, put away wet", then there could be all sort s of failure modes from salts creep across some leads, corroded traces (esp ecially across SMT chip connections) and similar. Where the failure showed up is not necessarily the first-cause.

I have seen situations (as recently as this last weekend) where an individu al carried a tube tuner from his car to my clinic table in Kutztown for tes ting. What he did not understand was that it was a very hot and humid day, and he was dripping seriously through the cover into the guts. I did notic e the sweat and cleaned it off before applying power. But had I not noticed - between the salts in the sweat and them corroding traces, can you say *P OW*. Note that should there be some source of salts, these are naturally de liquescent - every time the humidity rises, the damage will go further.

Just a thought.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I agree with Peter. 240/30e-3 = 8K BTW

Metal Oxide resistors usually totally break in half under overload.

Maybe they should have raised it off the board,

They could have not taken into account the voltage rating: See

for an example.

240 * 1.4 = 336 V (0 to peak)
Reply to
Ron D.

I think that is the most likely, HV breakdown , perhaps 2x220K in series would not have failed but 1x450K would. The item was stored indoors , no damp involvement. But it seems a bit odd that dozens of times tested in use and then fails after an extended period of non-use. Perhaps stressing while in use, cracking the casing , then a film of mould or something organic can grow over the MO surface in storage.

Reply to
N_Cook