RCA CTC203 blew up

Last night our RCA TV (25", F25441, chassis CTC203) was making loud popping noises every few minutes but was otherwise operating fine. I originally thought it was an extension cord so I unplugged all of it and replaced with a surge protector. Turn TV on, and it goes POP POP POP POP, with very bright visible flashes/sparks in the back and a burnt electronics odor, I unplug it quickly.

Few hours later I take the back off and got this picture:

How much would this cost to repair at a shop (authorized RCA).

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Flyback is shot, & likely the horizontal output, also, the PWM power supply is likely damaged. About $ 120.00 plus taxes, depending on where you live, & where you go to get it fixed.

Mike Richards> Last night our RCA TV (25", F25441, chassis CTC203) was making loud

Reply to
Dani

If you shut it down before it failed completely its likely only the transformer is damaged, this fault usually takes the flyback transistor though!

The transformer can be pricy but the transistor usually isn't much. What might be expensive is the engineers time to check possible causes, some makes of transformer are poorly insulated which can cause this type of failure, but possibilities include faulty flyback tuning capacitors or regulation failure in the PSU!

Reply to
I.F.