Rare 18 amp fuse in Panasonic microwave

My 2 y/o Panasonic NN-T664 microwave (1300W inverter design) blew a fuse, apparently due to the fuse simply wearing out. All else seems normal, including door switches.

The first symptom was loss of display, but unplugging/re-plugging the power cord restored that briefly. Then, I removed and reinstalled the original fuse and got another burst of life. The fuse was intermittent for a day before finally going open.

The Panasonic factory fuse was an ABC 125/250V 18A ceramic, but I can only find 15A or 20A versions in hardware or electronics stores. Even online,

18A fuses are elusive. Maximum current in this oven is stated as 12.7A at 1,460 watts. So far the 15A fuse I replaced it with has held up after a two days.

Does anyone know why Panasonic uses a rare 18A fuse (vs. 15A or 20A) and how long a 15A fuse should last?

Jack

Jack

Hi Jack...

Here's a couple...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The lossy display might point out to a worn-out electrolytic capacitor in either the power-supply or the control-circuitry

--
Sincerely

Ruediger
Reply to
Ruediger

If it were my own, I would use the 20. Its funny that the commercial version is only rated about 1300 watts out but has higher current input. Different ways of rating power I guess. One power rating is hotter than another I guess. The commercial cost about 5 times more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg

Reply to
GregS

power

two

If the current is only 13 amps or less the fuse should last forever. Sometimes they will get 'tired' and just blow. A fuse develops heat and melts . When operated near its rated current they just get hot and do what I call a 'sag out' after a period of time. As most homes have either a 15 or 20 amp fuse/braker the fuse in the microwave is almost not needed as the house circuit would go about the same time or before if some other devices are connected to the same circuit.

I work for a large complex and we have many kinds of fuses used in our equipment. One odd ball is a 63 miliamp fuse for 250 volts. Another is a

6.5 amp one. A few years back a repersenative from a fuse company put on a talk. At one time the fuse company made many kinds and used that as a selling point. Now they are telling us that one fuse will replace about ten types they used to make. That is now their selling point.

I would sitck in the 15 amp fuse and if it holds tehn use the micro wave. If it blows in a few weeks then go to the 20 amp fuse.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ruediger wrote in news:e52d7k$i20$01$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

I'm pretty sure in this case the fuse just "sagged" after two years, as someone else put it. The display was either on or off, not variable, although the green LEDs were always fairly dim from day one (my only complaint with the unit). That could be a separate issue.

Jack

Jack

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:J97dg.7278$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Good point. It's as if Panasonic wants to save the oven just before the whole branch goes down! I will put my faith in the 15A fuse.

Jack

Jack

Panasonic had an issue with the 18 amp fuses in a series of their microwave ovens. The fuses were not up to spec and they would go intermittent or blow for no reason. Panasonic recommends the fuse be replaced with a 20 amp fuse.

fuse,

power

only

at

two

Reply to
Woodward

If it were my own oven, I'd try the 15A first and if that blows use a

20A. If a short occurs it'll blow that just as fast as the 18A. If this is for a customer though I would not go over 18A just because of liability issues.
Reply to
James Sweet

Yah right! :)

I had this microwave repaired under warranty by a tech while I was out of town (my wife needed the microwave. :) The tech replaced the fuse by a 20A. It held for what.. 6 years? Now I need a new fuse. I won't bother and put a 20A.

Reply to
cythrault