question about Sony Discman

This is an "out of curiosity" question. I have multiple backups of this unit, and //do not// intend to repair it. I just want to see if anyone has any interesting insights.

The unit is a D-FJ75TR, one of Sony's last "deluxe" Discmans. I'd been using it to listen to CDs in bed, and yesterday it stopped working correctly.

When I install the batteries, or plug it into the adapter, it immediately starts to play -- and none of the controls work. I can't pause it, change the track, set the volume, etc. Nor do any of the controls on the remote/tuner module work. (Unplugging the remote doesn't fix the problem. And the control lock button isn't jammed.)

The "obvious" answer is CMOS lockup, which I've seen on other products. Yanking the power while the device is running sometimes cures this, but not in this case.

I'm not trying to start an extended, overwrought discussion. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

stuck contact of a key?

Reply to
N_Cook

The obvious one would be the Play button (as the unit starts playing when I put the batteries in).

I'll try holding down the Play button on a "good" unit, and see what happens.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Some models had a "lock" switch to keep random hits from affecting the play while one is jogging or something.

HAHAHA, Sony thought people in this country jog !

Reply to
jurb6006

stuck contact of a key?

I thought so too.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

When the Play/Pause button is held down, a "good" unit misbehaves in exactly the same way as the "bad" unit, whether or not the remote control is installed.

The Play/Pause button isn't jammed, so it would seem the fault is somewhere in the wiring.

I have the service manual. When I find it, I'll tear into the lid (which holds the key pad). It couldn't hurt.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck