PT100 probe plug identification request

Hello:

New here ... =-)

I would be very obliged if you'd allow me to tap into the collective experience of this important group.

I need to connect a 4 wire PT100 immersion probe to a (very good quality but now out of production) IR thermometer which has a male socket like the one in the photo at the following link:

(link hosting courtesy of SG at repairfaq)

I have not been able to ID it.

The inner diametre is ~ 5.5 mm. It has what seem to be gold plated contacts and does not have an orientation key, just push-on / pull-off with no threads or twist mechanisms.

Being the socket for a PT100 probe, there's no special voltage requirements, just negligible resistance.

Seems well made and the instrument it is on is of very good quality and specs. eg: only Fluke ordinance and other similar quality + high price IR thermometers/equipment have the posibility of variable emissivity (E=epsilon) settings.

I doubt it is of a proprietary nature but you never know with some OEMs. They have not been very helpful.

The people at Omega haven't seen it before. The tech guys at DigiKey and Mouser have been very diligent but don't have it or know about it.

The instrument is European made, my guess is that the plug could also be.

I'll be very grateful for any input.

Thanks in advance, Best regards

CIV

Reply to
civ

If no LEMO type latching , then why not find some QM or Trident mating pins, whatever are right dimensions, and bodge/mould-up up your own matching section.

Much easier than trying to find genuine product, if not "mission critical"

N_Cook

I think it's unlikely that you'll find a parts distributor that will sell just one part at a reasonable price, even if you were able to locate a distrubutor that stocks the item.

It's not likely that there are very many connectors which are that small, with pins receptacles/sockets in that orientation, sort-of like a ultra-mini

4-pin DIN or XLR. Since it's European, a maker such as Lemo might be possible, but I don't recall seeing ones like that in their product line. I'm fairly certain that it's also not a Hirose (HRS) connector.

High quality small connectors are generally quite expensive, but if you're very lucky, someone my recognize this connector that has a few of them, and would be happy to send you one.

As Nigel suggested, you might try making a mating connector, and that may be the best approach if you like making small parts. Some contacts from a common, inexpensive connector like the D-sub 9 thru 25 pin data connectors may fit those pins. Drilling a piece of nylon or other insulating material would provide a connector body to orient the pins.

Another alternative would be to just choose a more commonly available connector and replace the instrument connector. The least elegant solution would be to remove the instrument connector and solder the probe leads to the ciruit board (providing a suitable strain relief for the probe cable), but that will limit the probe's use to only this instrument.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Hello:

Thanks for your > If no LEMO type latching ...

Indeed ... Apparently it's not LEMO.

Must be gold plated. It seems that in this PT100 thing resistance is imprtant.

I had already though of doing something like that with acrylics or epoxy, but I'm rather reluctant to put my hands into it yet.

I may well have to do it, reluctant or not.

Cheers, CIV

Reply to
civ

Hello:

Thanks for your > I think it's unlikely that you'll find a parts distributor that will sell just

one part .... I agree .... And then there's the possibility of a 'sample' request from teh OEM. But first I have to ID the &%$#@ thing.

pins receptacles/sockets in that

I have not seen one yeat and I've been through a few on-line catalogues already.

Quite so ... It's not Lemo or Hirose. Not AMP or Tyco.

Exactly.

few of them ... At this point I'd be very happy to get the OEM info and spec.

Now 'that' would be a jack-pot, now doubt.

Yes. See above.

connector body to orient the pins. I'll probably have to make a mold in acrylic first, sort of like dentists do. But, like I said above, I am rather reluctant to take the thing apart just yet.

and replace ... A bit more complex (to me) as it would involve working on the PCB. I'll keep looking around for a while and post the results if I find something.

Cheers and thanks, CIV

Reply to
civ