PS/2-to-AT keyboard adapter

Hi,

Do PC keyboards with "AT" connectors (the big 5-pin DIN plug) use the same voltage levels and signalling as keyboards with PS/2 connectors?

Will a PS/2 keyboard work if I cut off the PS/2 plug, solder on an AT connector, and plug it into an old PC?

Otherwise, where do I get one of these? (Jameco P/N 189771):

(Despite being listed as available, it is not.)

Reply to
Chris Giese

The adapter in the picture is exactly the opposite of what you need. It's for using a PS/2 keyboard with an old AT motherboard. You instead need something like this:

There are also rigid 1-piece adapters at Ebay, but I prefer something with a short cable because it doesn't stick out so far in back, and a rigid adapter makes it easy to snap off the PS/2 socket on the motherboard.

I use an old IBM Model M keyboard with AT cable and have it plugged into an adapter cable that fits the PS/2 socket of my ATX motherboard.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Those were shipped with a lot of keyboards and sold in computer stores for years. Call a few computer shops or hit thrift stores.

Here is one on Ebay for 99 cents and free shipping:

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Yes -- more or less. I.e., given that you are connecting to an "old PC", don't expect any of the "magic buttons" common on newer keyboards to work. In fact, don't "expect" anything from them (including expecting them to be IGNORED).

There are a couple of different keyboard interface protocols that the keyboard controller will/should support. Depending on how ancient your PC is, how the BIOS handles them may vary.

Be advised many *OLD* machines didn't tolerate the keyboard being unplugged/plugged while powered on (older keyboards consumed more power and this often lead to the keyboard fuse -- in the PC -- blowing; doubtful a problem with a newer keyboard).

Depends on what you call "old". E.g., I have still some Compaq Portable III's here (286 lunchbox).

Your local computer supply place will have them. Maybe even rat shak.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Oops. You did choose the right adapter after all. I got it wrong because all my good keyboards are the AT type with the big plug, so I never assumed anybody would need an adapter for an AT motherboard. :(

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Ah -- an added bonus :)

The system in question is a Pentium 1 with 16 meg of RAM.

OK, I'll take a look.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Chris Giese