Protection Diodes On the Dick Smith Meter

I would like to get this modification installed on my meter. Will this type of diode do the job:

How many will I need and what is the proper method of installing?

Reply to
rubenz1967

Actually I am now adding a MOV to all my Bob Parker (DS) ESR kits. I then tested the shop ESR kit to 350VDC @20MA with no ill effects. Not that I recommend you try this - after all I have a lot of spare parts if something goes wrong...still, it is nice to still let the kit test batteries ESR (you can check gel-cell batteries to see how they are).

I sell the MOV for $5US including postage to Canada/USA, or you can get one from Digi-Key or somewhere. I used a 28V 500A unit...

For the MOV story...and scroll tot he bottom for some ideas on testing batteries.

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call

I went ahead and ordered NTE1V014, as the panasonics aren't sold by mouser. Here is the spec sheet for it:

Would there be any benefit in placing more than one across the leads (in parallel)?

Reply to
rubenz1967

If I'm not mistaken this

is what you typically would use for protecting your meter. I used a MOV on my meter.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Oh, nevermind I see you ordered a MOV.. Good Move..

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I just got a cross reference request from mouser to the Panasonics I made last week and they suggested:

Pretty much the same thing, but .23 each, the NTE were about $1.25 each.

Reply to
rubenz1967

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Which voltage MOV did you select? My guess(tm) is that the lowest possible voltage should work.

That would allow the protection MOV to handle more overload power for a longer time. At some point, methinks a series fuse before the MOV might be a good idea.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to