Proscan model PS35123,(CTC169EJ5) vertical problems

The complaint on this set was intermittent vertical. I have not been able to get the set to fail however I noticed at least three burned resistors, around the vertical section. Two of these are near the vertical yoke wires and are mounted conventionally. They have hot melt glue slobbered all over them. The other is mounted diagonally. I'm relating this because I am unable to read any identifying marks on the chassis for any of these. I know that there were alot of vertical problems with the 169 and I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the manual for this set that they might be able to share with me. If I could see a board layout as well as the schematic of course it would be of tremendous help in identifying the parts and troubleshooting the circuit. If you do have the manual and are able to send it, this email address will not accept it. Please send it to: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Thanks very much for any assistance. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

"I know that there were alot of vertical problems with the 169 " ??????

You know what, in the hundreds of ctc169s that were fixed some time ago, I only ever ran into ONE vertical circuit problem ever.

eservice web site has a ctc169 basic chassis information and schemtics program available for download.

Reply to
dkuhajda

That pretty much duplicates my experience. I'd consider it to be a standout for NOT having vertical problems, at least IME.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I do remember the single ctc169 vertical circuit problem I had was a real dog to find the culprit. If my fading memory is still good, I think it was a leaky diode in the vertical circuit.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I checked eservice but there is no 169 manual available on there. Does anyone have a copy of the manual so that I can identify these componet locations? RCA boards are so difficult to read component lettering off, especially when they're covered with glue. Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

It is here on eserviceinfo.com:

File name: R2456d.exe Size: 1777 kB Extension: MD5 Checksum: b42a3ca38fc9efb0612fc21d1b426f13 Mfg: RCA Model: proscan Original no||Chassis||Ordercode: Description: ctc169 Group: Electronics > Consumer electronics > TV >

Uploaded: 2004-06-10 07:00:41 User: okapi (303) Multipart: No multipart

Reply to
dkuhajda

Hi David I did find the information and thank you for pointing me to that site. It will be very helpful in the future I'm sure. I also obtained a copy of the Sams for a 169 however for some reason it does not show a component side detail of all the components with locators pointing to them as I am accustomed to seeing them on Sams. And just when I really need that too! If you or anyone else is more familiar than I am with parts placement on this chassis could you please take a look at the links I have included? Maybe we can identify these resistors and I can try replacing them. I have found some cold solder joints around the yoke connections and perhaps this is what caused the resistors to burn in the first place. I just can't seem to read the markings on the board for these parts. The first picture shows the entire board section involved. In the center of the picture between the violet and grey yoke wires is an obvious burned part. Down on the lower right are two more resistors mounted diagonally to most others on this board. They show some white in the middle as though they have also been overheated. Then picture 4 shows another resistor just to the left of the grey wire (whos lead is just visible on the first picture), burned as well. Thanks once again. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

captainvideo462002

I=B4m not an expert, so please take this with a bit of salt. From the pictures you posted, seems to me that the first resistor is a 100 ohm flameproof resistor. I can see clearly the rennants of bands brown, black, brown and gold in that one. By the size you can judge if it=B4s

1/2W or 3/4W (I can=B4t determine that from here)

I am not sure about the second resistor. I can see orange, white... but I=B4m not sure about the third band, it seems like black to me. Since this resistor is not completely burnt, you should be able to unsolder it and check the underside of the resistor. Maybe the third band is intact there.=20

Good luck.

Reply to
lsmartino