Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer

X-No-Archive

My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley (rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible "repair shop" problem.)

Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for it brand-new, is there a way of fixing this oneself?

Shnaggletooth

Reply to
shnaggletooth

Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times than it's a waste tank full error.

Reply to
zakezuke

It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

Shnaggletooth

Reply to
shnaggletooth

Burried in there is the service manual, which does contain the blink codes. But if it never stops, that's a "rom error". I've not even met the rom or the system board personaly, but even if I have and I could say it was socketed, I wouldn't know where to get the rom in file form nor does the average person have a ROM burner.. with the exception of their motherboard.

The blink codes are also listed on this site

To double check you "could" try going into service mode via the following procedure, with the USB cord disconnected in the unlikely event there is an issue with the PC's usb.

------------------ I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER] and wait 5 seconds or so.

Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME]. then Release [POWER].

Press [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK in red for the last line. Press [RESUME] twice then [POWER]] to print off the second diagnostic. Press [POWER] by it self to exit service mode and return to being a printer.

This should isolate whether the printer is not printing because it doesn't want to, or isn't printing because something is wrong. Odds are it's the logic board, or a connection to the logic board if you can't get the sucker into service mode at all, or can get into service mode and it won't print the diagnostics. If you can, odds are you have a diaper full condition.

If you are curious about worst case scenero, you can ask about "QM2-1548" the main logic board. How much it costs to replace, or how much it costs to get. But odds are if you do have a failed logic board that looking for a used ip4000 with a bum head, and using your head is a viable solution. Or, buying another printer, cleaning up your print head, and selling it on e-bay. I don't know if this is your problem, but given the ip4000 sells for $100 to $150 on closeout sites, and a new ip4200 runs about $80... if your printer is toast parting out and buying a new is often most cost effective, and does someone a favor.

Reply to
zakezuke

I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice, though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to avoid Canon.

Shnaggletooth

Reply to
shnaggletooth

BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT. IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

Reply to
measekite

Canon is actually typicaly pretty good, and the ip4000 is no lame duck. You got a bum one that had an issue 2 weeks after the warranty expired, but I know countless people who have units running 2 to 3 years from the origional purchace. And they are worth a pretty penny dead. People want heads, parts, and to keep their unit in service.

Also troubleshooting via usenet is not the most reliable means of diagonisis. For all I know you just need to slap the printer to get it to resume normal operation. If you are going to chuck it anyway, might as well kick it.

But if you want to consider something other than canon, i'd look at the hp 8250. Sub $150, does employ seperate ink tanks and does have a seperate head. If it wasn't for CD printing, and ease of refilling, i'd probally still be buying HPs..

Reply to
zakezuke

Ignore this tosser

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look

and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it

This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input. Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are covered well beyond the warranty. Who knows.

As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support wouldn't know anything more on that subject. Assuming endless blinking, that's a ROM problem. Not that you should always assume the blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not connected. Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power surge. Loose wire is always possible.

But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the least likely to consider calling technical support. It's worth a shot, the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.

Reply to
zakezuke

Before you throw it away, can you confirm that the alternating blinking light never pauses and then starts again? If it does pause briefly, then you need to count the number of iterations between pauses. That will provide a more accurate diagnosis. Tony

Reply to
Tony

is and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it

:O) I never thought I'd see the day.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Reply to
Paul Heslop

Yeah advice from that piece of shit moron idiot is worse than useless cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap! Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless garbage. Let the moron talk only to himself. Frank

Reply to
Frank

As was pointed out by someone else he actually makes a good point somewhere in his drivel, but as he refuses to even pretend to act like anyone else I completely missed it.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Reply to
Paul Heslop

Measkekite offers the following useful advice

  1. Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
  2. Call tech support - read the manual
  3. Buying OEM is less trouble
  4. Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to water proof your prints.

All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of

450 messages per month.
Reply to
zakezuke

:O)

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Reply to
Paul Heslop

It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x (ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.

(I should have also mentioned: The printer is no longer hooked up to a USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and diagnose it separated from my system.)

Shnaggletooth

Reply to
shnaggletooth

Reply to
measekite

I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.

Shnaggletooth

Reply to
shnaggletooth

But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites. Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the consumable parts.

--
Paul   (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Reply to
Paul Heslop

AND THE MORONS IN THIS NG SAY MEASKITE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A CHANCE.

Reply to
measekite