Power Wheelchair Controller Hacking

Has anyone here tried this? I'd like to find some information on how to do it, schematics, etc. They all seem to be proprietary and I can't find any documentation. Ideally, I'd like to interface the wheelchair to something like an iPad.

--
Nelson
Reply to

This patent application includes a detailed controller schematic.

There may be others.

Start with either the various robotics forums, or controller interface forums:

etc... Search for "wheelchair".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:58:06 -0400, Jeff Liebermann wrote (in article ):

Thanks, Jeff. That's really helpful.

--
Nelson
Reply to

I interfaced one to a remote control for modelplanes. (the receiver part). The transmitter was either used as is, or as interface to a controlling computer.

Alas, that was about 6 years ago, and i dont work there anymore. What i did(from memory), since the joystick was analog 4 quadrant, is to translate the control voltages from the receiver units to the joystick connection wires. Worked like a charm.

End result: a remote controlled snoop vehicle with stereo camera view, and stereo microphone, with camera/mic direction control. We used an 8 channel plane controller, and some video capable small transmitters.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Oh, I forgot a picture :)

Or article:

Sjouke Burry

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:19:29 -0400, Sjouke Burry wrote (in article ):

How did you get the white shirt on the robot :-) That's an interesting approach. Don't have to worry about directly controlling the motors which the manufacturers seem to treat as a black art. I can probably do the same with the speed control.

I wonder if anyone makes an interface for the iPad or iPod to allow touch screen inputs to be converted to voltages. Or better a bluetooth receiver with analog output. I'm not interested in remote control. I'm just thinking about integrating an iPad into my wife's wheelchair so she can watch movies, skype, etc. I could also use the built in camera to monitor her and communicate with her. Since real estate on a wheelchair is scarce, I'd like to integrate the chair control with the iPad too. I'd like to be able to replace the controller functionality completely but it's probably more realistic to just piggyback on it as you did.

--
Nelson
Reply to