Power faults on different Toshiba TVs

I am in the UK and initially purchased a "graded" Toshiba 28" widescreen CRT TV (Model 28ZD28) which after approx 3 months developed a fault where it would not power on and stayed on standby. This was returned to the shop for a refund as they did not have another in stock.

I then purchased another graded Toshiba 30" LCD screen (Model 30WL46) from the same retailer which was working until recently where it has also developed a fault where it would power up if left on standby but when turned off at the power switch and back on, just a green timer led (labelled with a clock) came on instead of the expected red standby LED (then brought out of standby using the remote). It also makes a low quiet whistling noise while like this. I initially thought this may of been a power on timer of some kind and so disabled this in the tv menu, when I could get the TV powered on (took several tries to get it to power on) and left the tv on standby. Then yesterday the fuse in the tv blew and I replaced it with another with the correct rating and powered the tv back on o.k. The manual does mention that removing power to the tv resets all the menu's to default.

I then powered it off again later as the Manual said not to leave the TV in standby and it now won't power on at all other than the green timer light.

Is this a common fault with TVs, it does seem odd this has happened to two Toshiba tv's (admittedly "graded") in a relatively short space of time. What exactly does graded mean?

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Reply to
uk_techie_2005

Take your set back for warranty service. The power supply has to be properly serviced. In these flat panel TV sets, the power supply is normally changed as a module, and the old one is disposed of.

If you have the choice, you would be best off to go to a higher end brand of TV set. In the flat panel sets, the Sony and Panasonic have the best rating for quality and service. Check out Consumers Guide for details.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

Reply to
Mike Berger

Maybe Previously Owned ??

Reply to
kip

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:10:39 -0500, Mike Berger put finger to keyboard and composed:

Factory second?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar