POTS Telephone Block

Hello, and my apologies for not a repair query but since this ng seems well attended -

In the old days of copper-wire analog phone service, on Western-Electric (Ma Bell) residential phone installations, the twisted-two wire outside plant phone line first encountered a terminal block (usually in the basement/laundry room or garage) inside the house. All the phone extensions in the home were connected to that block which also provided a third terminal with a wire that was earthed (run to a clamp on a metallic water pipe). The yellow wires from the phone extensions were connected to the earthed terminal. The black wires from the phone extensions if not used were usually just clipped short or coiled around the gray outer jacket of the 4-wire line. Does anyone know if this terminal block provided an internal lightning arrestor of some sort? Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to

You're thinking of one of these:

And yes, the arresters are under the two hex caps. A pair of carbon rectangles that would fail short and protect the inside wiring.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Or this (second picture down):

I saw something like that in my grandmother's house back in the 60s...

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

ello, and thanks for the quick reply. Yep, that's precisely what I remember. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood	            e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com
Reply to
J.B. Wood

*laughs* I have one of those at the shop, it was the original protector. My shop was built in 1919.
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0