Plugging 2.5mm monaural into 1/8" steeo. ????

I didn't start working on this soon enough to buy the proper airplane adapter for sound, like

or
charge 5500 LBP Lebanon Pounds!! Not enough time to ship from Lebanon.

Office Depot used to have this but doesn't anymore.

But can't I just plug my 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo plug in the monaural jack and get sound in one ear? One ear is good enough for me

2.5 mm = 0.1" 3.5 mm = 7/5 x 0.1" =0.14" inches, Maybe neither is close enough to 1/8" = 0.125".

I have a bunch of other adapters. And other earphones. What size plugs into computers?

I fly rarely and the last time I think the earphones were just plastic tubes.

Reply to
micky

Contrary to popular belief in the US, there's really no such thing as a 1/8" jack. The common sizes are

- subminiature jack 2.5 mm,

- mini-jack 3.5 mm,

- phone jack 1/4" = 6.35 mm.

3.5 mm. Erroneously called 1/8" in some not-yet-metricated countries, even though 1/8" would be 3.175 mm.
--
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his
salary depends upon his not understanding it. -- Upton Sinclair

I didn't start working on this soon enough to buy the proper airplane adapter for sound, like

or
charge 5500 LBP Lebanon Pounds!! Not enough time to ship from Lebanon.

Office Depot used to have this but doesn't anymore.

But can't I just plug my 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo plug in the monaural jack and get sound in one ear? One ear is good enough for me

2.5 mm = 0.1" 3.5 mm = 7/5 x 0.1" =0.14" inches, Maybe neither is close enough to 1/8" = 0.125".

I have a bunch of other adapters. And other earphones. What size plugs into computers?

I fly rarely and the last time I think the earphones were just plastic tubes.

Reply to
micky

........ and propulsion was via propellers. :-)

I have not seen the "stethoscope" earphones since maybe the early 90's.

Jonesy

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I'm pretty sure it was 10 or more years later than that. A lot of airlines out there.

Reply to
micky

Believe you me, I've wondered about this, why there would be two sizes so close together, and how come I never come across plugs that don't fit jacks.

So since I have stereo headphones with a 2.5mm plug, and an adapter that successfully converts that to 3.5 mm, one or the other plug should fit without wobbling and I'll eitther get one channel in one ear or the same channel in both ears, right? I think I've done that before without involving an airplane.

So I'm in good shape!

Well, I'm not metricated myself. I'm probably anti-metrical, but if that's how big it is, that's how big it is. It may be all European and communist and all that to use metric, but it's worse to lie about the size. So it should be called 3.5mm.

That Lebanese Radio Shack page unabashedly says 1/8". I thught they used metric in Lebanon.

The Amazon page avoids using any dimensions, only says Airline and Airplane, and has a bunch of competitors at the bottom of the page, but the distance from one plug to the other is fixed. Might be better off with the Lebanese one, which has two plugs on separate 2" cords

I ordered one from Monoprice last night, only 80 cents plus 2.25 shipping (and I added something else I needed to the order) but I forgot that I'm leaving early Friday, not Friday night, so it probably won't get to me in time.

Thanks.

Reply to
micky