Please need help about 2708 eprom...

hi guys! I need to have an obsolete 2708 eprom programmer-reader.. It's very difficult to find modern eprom programmers that do this! I have buyed a willeim but it does everithing but 2708!! Well if it's possible i would make one. I'm very good skinned as electronic handy man , but i can't know how to make it. Can someone help me? And if someone got an old eprom programmer let me know!

Reply to
JA

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

"RFI-EMI-GUY" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@NETTALLY.COM...

Yes i'm doing this in the last 2 months! :)

Exaclty! I'm monitorizing ebay.com ebay.de ebay.fr and ebay.it

But no luck, just modern type eprom , from 2716 and up!

Reply to
JA

I think Needham's used to make a reasonably priced programmer. You can probably find one on eBay if you watch for a while.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

The fifth post here may shed some light on why:

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

--------------------------------------------------------------------- The Andromeda Research EPROM+ programmer can handle the 2708. Price is reasonable at US $289 plus shipping.

It's a versatile unit; handles a pretty good selection of Eproms, Proms, EEproms, Serial EEproms, etc.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

Willem might work if you make up an adapter to supply the -5V and translate the pins.

You also may be able to adapt a more modern eprom to the task, I've done this with RAM chips, disconnecting the -5V and adding a jumper to make newer 4164 RAM chips work in place of the original chips on Williams game boards. I've adapted Dallas battery backed SRAMs to replace various obsolete writable memory chips too.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a Needham's PB-10 here. Not sure if it reads 2708s and the Needham's site isn't responding. I haven't got the software installed on this PC but I do have it elsewhere.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

ke

Can't you just cobble up an adapter to treat your 2708 as if it were a larger memory device. So what if the high read addresses come us as "00" or "FF" Hex. Just edit it with a text editor. Or am I missing something here?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

The pinout is very nearly the same; I don't think it'd be all the difficult to sub in a 2716.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

  1. to get the code from the 2708 send it to someone and get the HEX file back, you don't need to buy a vintage programmer then.
  2. use a 2716 in an adapter socket to replace it, ground the 2716's highest address pin.

Unless you really want to keep it 'vintage'...

Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie

. snipped-for-privacy@twister2.libero.it...

Better. Put the data in 2 blocks both 0-1K and 1K to 2K so it doesn't matter if the MSB is hi or low.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

make

site

have it

It only goes as low as 2716s.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore
2708 1kx8 EPROM. Requires -5, +5 and +12V. +-----+--+-----+ A7 |1 +--+ 24| VCC A6 |2 23| A8 A5 |3 22| A9 A4 |4 21| VEE A3 |5 20| /CE A2 |6 19| VDD A1 |7 2708 18| PRGM A0 |8 17| D7 D0 |9 16| D6 D1 |10 15| D5 D2 |11 14| D4 GND |12 13| D3 +--------------+

2716

2kx8 EPROM. +-----+--+-----+ A7 |1 +--+ 24| VCC A6 |2 23| A8 A5 |3 22| A9 A4 |4 21| VPP A3 |5 20| /OE A2 |6 19| A10 A1 |7 2716 18| /CE A0 |8 17| D7 D0 |9 16| D6 D1 |10 15| D5 D2 |11 14| D4 GND |12 13| D3 +--------------+

I remembered this little catch +5,-5,+12V.

Reply to
donald

The 2708 requires two additional supply voltages, +12 and -5 in addition to the +5 required by 2716 onwards. That's probably why most programmers don't support it.

Should not be hard to make one though - I made a 2716 programmer in high school, and you could probably do a 2708 if you got the extra voltages. I used an 8255 I/O chip wired into an expansion memory socket on my Z80 computer; but you could also hang the 8255 off a parallel port as an I/O expander. Either that, or get a USB-connected microcontroller with enough I/O pins. For programming you'll need a VPP supply and something that can generate a pulse of the right width

- back then I didn't want to trust software timing, today you might. Or you could use a 2716 in an adapter as the replacement and only have to worry about accomplishing the readout.

Reply to
cs_posting

On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:22:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened cs snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Hey, I used 2 Z80 PIOs ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have S-100 microcomputers capable of reading and writing 2708s. A couple of them actually boot into monitors stored on 2708s. Not willing to sell, but if you are in the Washington, DC area, I would be happy to dump and/or program some for you. email me if interested.

Bill Sudbrink

Reply to
Bill Sudbrink

The 2708 is similar to larger, newer EPROMs except for the extra supply voltages, for reading.

However, IIRC, it uses a different programming algorithm where you are supposed to cycle through the entire memory a number of times.

This thing is pretty old, thirty-plus years.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"DaveM" ha scritto nel messaggio news:wtydnT2I1dOwztrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Fantastic work! I have contacted them! I think that i will buy this!

Reply to
JA