Pioneer HiFi and lighting from the audio input ground

My Pioneer HiFi (1993) has 4 parts (Cassette, CD, Equalizer, Syntho-Amplifier) which should be all connected to power on and to work; otherwise the syntho-amplifier is only in stand-by.

A lightning entered from the ground of the Audio Input. The fault is only in the syntoamplifier SX-P920 (I tested the other components with a SX-P830)

I replaced 3 regulators, 4 transistors (all connected to the ground); plugging the HiFi, it powers on (not in standby), even if it is not connected to the other elements) and it is mad, it does not work, too many leds are on, no audio, the fan is always on!

I replaced also many electrolytic caps connected to the ground (but not all)... Every diode and transistor seem to be good. I helped myself with a similar sinthoamp., the SX-P830.

What could it be? Microprocessor? Caps and resistances smd?

Thank you Donato - Italy

Reply to
Aster

Sounds like the micro was destroyed, or its contents corrupted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

So I should say goodbay to my HiFi... :(

Reply to
Aster

Or replace the micro. This is not a guaranteed fix, but it does seem likely.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

likely.

Yes, but I can buy another SX-P920 used for 30 Euro; a micro does not cost less... A.

Reply to
Aster

Based upon the information provided, no one can suggest the solution with anything but wild speculation. The problem is made more difficult by how you are doing the analysis. You have assumed lightning crashed onto your electronics like a wave on the beach. Lightning is electricity. That means electricity traveled through all components in a circuit. Only then did something in that circuit fail.

Because the transient is electricity, then to be damaged, the component must have both an incoming and an outgoing path. The outgoing path is usually easier to find. It is a connection to earth either by direct connection or through other components. Again, it is quite common for the transient to pass through many components but only damage one.

IOW lightning did not just enter on the ground of your audio, damage electronics, and terminate. It would enter on the audio ground because lightning found another path out of the electronics to earth ground.

One final point. Once you have identified that path by finding the destroyed electronic component, then review the other electronic components that were also part of that path to ground. Some (ie semiconductors) may work today but are overstressed. Therefore they would have an accelerated life expectancy - maybe fail a week or month later.

If the electronics were plugged into a power strip protector, then the protector may have provided lightning with more paths into electronics. Just a little problem with plug-in protectors that their manufacturers hope you don't learn.

Aga>> Sounds like the micro was destroyed, or its contents corrupted.

Reply to
w_tom

Well, you can check the micro's getting a clock signal, and check its supply is stable and the correct voltage to rule out outside problems. Personally I wouldn't repair it if the micro is bad. The part will likely be expensive, and with a lightning strike there may be other parts destroyed as well.

If you can buy another hifi of the same make/model for 30 Euro, and you like this particular model, go for it! At least you'll have the old one for spares!

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

It is very possible that the uPC has been damaged, as mentioned. This happens often in many of these types of sets that have had lightning damage. It is also possible that there is other damage as well.

--

JANA _____

A lightning entered from the ground of the Audio Input. The fault is only in the syntoamplifier SX-P920 (I tested the other components with a SX-P830)

I replaced 3 regulators, 4 transistors (all connected to the ground); plugging the HiFi, it powers on (not in standby), even if it is not connected to the other elements) and it is mad, it does not work, too many leds are on, no audio, the fan is always on!

I replaced also many electrolytic caps connected to the ground (but not all)... Every diode and transistor seem to be good. I helped myself with a similar sinthoamp., the SX-P830.

What could it be? Microprocessor? Caps and resistances smd?

Thank you Donato - Italy

Reply to
JANA