Photocopy without fusing the toner to paper

I wonder if anyone could provide any advice.

I want to use the copier in a novel way to help put images on ceramics. To do this I need to get the image out without the toner being fused to the paper, I can then transfer the toner to the clay and after firing the image appears!

I have disconnected the power to the heat roller but then the copier refuses to work. The copier is an old AEG Olympia Omega 1210Z. I'm sure there must be a way of overriding this failsafe device but have not been able to work it out so far.

I would really appreciate it if anyone had any ideas how i could do this.

Reply to
aeg olympia

Don't modify the copier. Instead, do a Google search for the press-and-peel (toner-transfer) method of making printed circuit boards. That involves Xeroxing or laser-printing onto glossy paper, then ironing the toner onto another surface -- in our case a printed circuit board, but it could equally well be a smooth ceramic surface.

Reply to
mc

If you have to modify the copier, how about extending the wires that go to the element and placing the element outside the machine to trick the machine in thinking it's there? Just my 2 cents.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

The trick is not in keeping the lamp connected, it's fooling the temperature sensor into thinking the roller is hot. Variable resistor should be able to do this.

Reply to
James Sweet

Have you tried using an ink jet printer. That way you can play with some color. You would just wet the clay and wrap the printed paper on it so the ink infuses to the clay. Or maybe the ink would just burn off, I have no idea. But the toner way you are thinking of, may be hard to keep correct on the paper. One tiny jar and the toner would shake off the paper or smear. Still at firing temp you the clay, the toner may just burn off since it is just plastic powder. Hmmm

Reply to
James Thompson

agreed but you would probably need to have a rough idea of the resistance cold and hot as having the off/"hot" resistance at switch on may force an error again. Also assuming the heated roller is on the top disconnect the springs to lower roller, add a couple of finger deflectors at the edges so the paper passes through the gap without the toner latent image touching the roller.

N Cook