phone jack help needed

Hi, I have moved into a house that I believe used to be a sales office or something that has mutiple phone line capability (according to the phone company guy). The problem is that there is only one jack is working right now and it's in the master closet. It's a pain in the ass...

The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now) but will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to do according to him but I don't know how.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I may not have given all the information to answer this question but I don't know where to begin but to ask in the news group for expert opinion to begin...

Thanks, Jae

Reply to
qdot

Let him do it , reason i say this is because i work with phone lines all the time since im in commercial security and it shouldnt take him more than a half hour or so to change the wires at the network interface ... unless you have some knowledge in what to look for and how to find the connections to change i suggest you just pay the guy .. just may cost you more if you mess things up within the wiring .

Reply to
bloggybob

A lot of things sound simple until you try to do them. You may also need special tools that you don't have.

You can buy a t> The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to

Reply to
Mike Berger

"qdot" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Oct 05 23:35:18) --- on the heady topic of "phone jack help needed"

Jae,

Use a multimeter to identify the wires...

A*s*i*m*o*v

qd> From: "qdot" qd> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:343964

qd> Hi, qd> I have moved into a house that I believe used to be a sales office or qd> something that has mutiple phone line capability (according to the qd> phone company guy). The problem is that there is only one jack is qd> working right now and it's in the master closet. It's a pain in the qd> ass...

qd> The phone guy says he can find out how to make other jacks active to qd> share my phone number (I don't intend to use mutiple lines for now) qd> but will charge ~$100/hr to do that. It sounds like a simple thing to qd> do according to him but I don't know how.

qd> Can anyone help me figure this out? I may not have given all the qd> information to answer this question but I don't know where to begin qd> but to ask in the news group for expert opinion to begin...

qd> Thanks, qd> Jae

... Just a little force field zap.

Reply to
Asimov

i was thinking that it shouldn't be that difficult, but it sounds like some special tools/skills are needed. is there any basic website or reading material that shows how this is done? like phone jack for dummy or something... how difficult it could be?

Jae

Reply to
qdot

Mike W.