Philips Magnavox 8P6044 Problem

Just for starters, I have no knowledge about television repair at all. When I am watching my television white oblects have a blue shadow. It is like the screen is a bit hazy when there is a lot of white on the screen and when there are really large white words on the screen you can really see a blue glow around the borders of the words. Does anyone have an idea of what my problem could be and how I can fix it?

Reply to
Vendetta

Vendetta a écrit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 17/10/2005 H. Ignaas ;

Looks like a picture tube problem, very common with Philips/Magnavox sets.

Try to reduce the contrast, maybe it will be better. If you have no knowledge it would be better to ask a serviceman to have a look at it :-)

--
Alain  http://users.edpnet.be/albeguin/
MesNews Translators Team (Nederlands)

Look into the three tubes while the TV is running, and observe the picture quality of the three. Usually, the red is crisp and clear, the green somewhat (or really) hazy, and the blue's picture nearly obliterated from bacteria growing in the coolant. If the coolant is clear, it can be a weak CRT. If the images are as I described, the problem is the coolant, which is a very common problem is Philips. The blue and green CRTs need to be removed from the light box to be serviced. The coolant needs to be drained, the CRT assemblies disassembled and totally scrubbed clean and refilled, then reinstalled and converged. While the red tube in Philips products doesn't usually get cloudy, the fluid does yellow somewhat. I always service all three tubes together.

Reply to
John-Del

John,

How much do you charge for these and where are you located? We charge $240 labor in shop plus the coolant, add pickup and delivery if they can't bring it in. It amazes me that we are still seeing these sets with the same problem. Didn't they ever figure it out. I did one recently that was only

4 years old.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Leonard,

I'm in central CT, and we get about $275 plus tax on a carry in, and $325 plus tax in the home for all three tubes removed, scrubbed, and refilled. Believe it or not, there are guys that siphon the tubes and refill them through the expansion chamber. Needless to say the results aren't good.

John

Reply to
John-Del

Our flat rate was $400. I knew one guy used a detergent to wash out the insides and refill them. We had to send the coolant to a hazardous waste dump to after saving it in red gallon cans, then to a 55 gallon drum that went to the dump.

Reply to
ray13