Philips 36" CRT TV shuts down with no picture

I have a Philips 36" widescreen 36PW9525/79R that won't power up properly. The sounds comes on, and it seems that it is just as the tube is being powered up, it shuts down. (There is a white flash of raster on the screen) Then the power LED just flashes red.

I opened it up, blew all the dust out, and got it to power up properly once with picture and sound, but then as soon as everything was put back together, it failed again.

I realise from reading various other posts that this could be any number of things, but I have also seen how in at least on case, the experts were ablt to predict what the fault was.

Can anyone help? I can't really afford another TV just at present ...

Reply to
Nick Alexander

It is obviously a component that is failing. The answer is not simple, but your set is serviceable.

The problem may be in the power supply or one of the scan amplifier sections. The set is probably going in to protect.

Most of the time, these types of faults are from failed capacitors. It would be more rare, but there may be other types of failures as well.

To troubleshoot a TV set, at the very minimum to do a reliable and safe job, you would require to have a background in electronics, experience at TV service, and the tools and service information to work on the set.

I would suggest to take the set to a service centre and have an estimate done for the work. This way, the set can be properly and safely serviced.

--

Jerry G. ======

I opened it up, blew all the dust out, and got it to power up properly once with picture and sound, but then as soon as everything was put back together, it failed again.

I realise from reading various other posts that this could be any number of things, but I have also seen how in at least on case, the experts were ablt to predict what the fault was.

Can anyone help? I can't really afford another TV just at present ...

Reply to
Jerry G.

ld

b,

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that. I used to repair computer monitors long ago, so I still have some equipment. (oscilloscope, DMM) Any more pointers with regards to the capacitors in the scan amplifiers would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Nick Alexander

You need to pull the main board all the way out and inspect all the solder joints for bad connections. If your lucky, you have a cold solder joint around a device that generates heat or is in a flex area. Get a good solder pencil or station and redo any connections that are suspicious.

If it worked when you had it partially apart, this may explain that.

Otherwise, its going into shutdown and that's a whole can or worms to diagnose.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Goes white and shuts down - sounds like the 200 volt line is down to me...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

He won't give you anything but that same canned response he gives everyone.

I would first check for cracked solder joints, either visually or by poking around with an insulated stick while the set is on.

A hair dryer and a can of freeze spray can be very useful for locating thermally sensitive components, it's the next best thing to an ESR meter for finding bad electrolytic capacitors.

Reply to
James Sweet