Panasonic plasma tv heat noises & their repair

I've had a Panasonic TH-58PX600U plasma TV for about 1 year. I like the set a lot, except for the random popping noises it produces every few minutes from various locations around the cabinet. I had assumed these sounds were the result of heat expansion/contraction, something which was born out in some searching on the problem, which others have had as well. Apparently some owners who have complained to Panasonic have been told the noise is produced by a relay; I'm very familiar with electronic equipment, this is not a relay. It's also not an audio problem, speaker vibration, etc., since the noise is present when I am using the set as a computer monitor.

I've read that Panasonic has a kit for this problem, number TMK2AA01098S, which consists of felt strips which are applied in various places around the cabinet/under the cover to eliminate the noise. My usual source for such parts, MCM electronics, does not list this item, nor can I locate one online. Can anyone tell me where I might obtain this kit, or give me any additional information on the situation? I understand Panasonic has a service bulletin out on the issue, can anyone tell me where I might get a copy?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan

the parts are just little felt strips. The problem is the case is plastic and the plasma panel frame is aluminum. Plastic expands much more than aluminum with heat. The solution is to loosen the panel mounting screws and insert little felt strips where the panel contacts the plastic. The plastic will still expand but instead of popping, it will silently slide. I'd bug the local Panasonic dealer or repair center until they act.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Thanks for the reply. According to Panasonic, the part, now number TXANV01TSER, is available for $0.95 & shipping. Sounds pretty straightforward, I would prefer to do the modification myself it at all possible. Do you happen to know if the kit comes with any installation details, or where I might find this info?

This TV originally sold for more than 4 grand. I got it when 720's (like this model) where beginning to be replaced by 1080's, so I didn't pay nearly that much. Cynical as I am about such things at this point, I still find it amazing that a product in this price range could make it to production with such an obvious & easily/CHEAPLY remedied defect. Astounding.

Thanks again.

Dan

Reply to
Dan