Panasonic Microwave

I should know this but I'm not getting it at the moment,out of touch since retirement I guess.It's my machine and,unbeknown to me my wife decided to degrease the microwave[it had been unplugged for a week and I was golfing} On return I swiched it on and it fired up,trying a glass of water made it fail completely,no display nothing.I tested the

250v 10A fuse in it read ok in and out of circuit.On a hunch it may be breaking down under load I replaced it with a 250v 6.3A fuse[I had no 10A since I sold my stock]Up came the display.I tested the grill it worked fine so it's only the Micro.Jusat to track it I tried the micro with the 6.3A fuse and watched it flash[well it would]Thought I'd ask whilst I await the 10A fuses in case I've missed something.Can't be the TX as it works with grill.If not fuse guess it may be a hv diode.Cheers
Reply to
Seafarer

JR North

thanks I got that but I wanted to see the 6.3A fuse blow as a guide to a splashmark.Power is arriving to the low power TX but the 10A fuse shows,and tests fine until micro is started.I have ordered extra fuses but I still think the fuse would only fail in the HV circuit if the diode failed.Trouble is i live in the sticks and it will take a while to get parts.I'll go through the hv circuit.thanks again

Reply to
Seafarer

Just as an upgrade,replaced fuse,grill,convection works,start microwave and power is cut and fuse fails and also the wall socket fuse blows tripping the power cutouts. Stripped most down,diode checks ok,no 4v coming to filement wires and mag fil leads and mag check is ok. I did notice well hidden three IC componants close to diodes but I could get to them today.I'll stip her down fully tomorrow and hope one of these is shorted,if not its on to the cappie.Regards

Reply to
Seafarer

HV capacitor, magnetron failing at HV, HV transformer short, etc.

Will it run with HV transformer disconnected from HV cap and magnetron?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

[snip] Just to wind this up,I stripped it down and found a transistor on the inverter board that showed b/e s/c.This would be the problem in the hv stage.Phoned up Panasonic and they said it was a common problem and as I noticed the Transistor had no case markings I asked the type and for a couple of replacements on my credit card.Panasonic said they would not issue the transistor but would only issue a new inverter board at 160 pound plus vat! so there we have it,a microwave that costs 300 pounds and needs a transistor worth a few pounds is now useless.Take my tip don't buy Panasonic.Regards
Reply to
Seafarer

snip thanks Sam see the previous text,it's bloody annoying.Regards

Reply to
Seafarer

Yeah, you could probably come up with a replacement based on the requirements but I absolutely agree that companies are not exactly eager to help.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Reply to
Paul Brooks

[snip] Thanks for that,it's just over two years and I have sent a letter of complaint to them.I have repaired more microwaves than I care to think about including a service contract with Beefeater.Since retirement and buying the Pan.the bulb went and Panasonic would not replace it as I am not a Pan.Service agent.I sent my card up and they were happy to replace it knowing I was an engineer.I understand their caution my complanit is, it should not need a inverter board replacing for the sake of Q701 it makes no sense to small repairers.The mag has tested good at least the filiments show less than 1 ohm and there is no continuity between fil and case.I'll await my letter reply before ringing them although last time they put me it touch with an engineer who did guarantee work for them,that's where I got the price from.They don't really want to know.Appreciate the help and if you come across any spare Q701 parts I'd be happy to buy from you.Or a generic device.Thanks for the help.
Reply to
Seafarer

labour

Customer

got

Paul

Thanks alot Paul,I'll await reply to the letter then get on to it.Appreciate the help.Regards

Reply to
Seafarer

the

I have a 1200W combo microwave/convection unit (120 Volt). On mine, the MOV shoots smoke and sparks out of the top, and the smaller of the two transistors on the heat sink (right hand side) has a crack right through the body for no reason I can think of. Any idea of part identification?

NM

Reply to
NSM

Just as an update to this,Panasonic replied saying although they could see I was a well qualfied microwave engineer they would not send me a part as the whole inverter board will have to be replaced by a Pan Service centre at enormous cost. I have now bought a Sharp combi,half the price,twice as good and with no inverter board.Just the plain old fashioned hv.circuit.I can fix this with my eyes shut if necessary.Keep away from inverter boarded microwaves like Panasonic.It's a racket.

Reply to
Seafarer

Caveat caveat, Sharp is owned by Matsushita as well as Panasonic. Might you consider that, while you are dismayed, Matsushita wishes to maintain it's normally well respected name by limiting repairs to these repair centers? Perhaps a better understanding can be had if you travel to an independent servicer who has a relationship with a supplier for Matsushita replacement parts?

Reply to
Steven

Since when is Sharp owned by Matsushita? It didn't appear that way only a few years ago.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

   Maarten Bakker.
Reply to
maarten

Ignore any posts from "Steven", "Progressive Bingo", and "Place bullseye here" They are all a troll who hangs around on news:rec.antiques.radio+phono who doesn't know anything about electronics but always has a useless opinion, or a factoid that is only valid in "Skippy World".

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature