Panasonic KX-TG2382 Cordless Phone Hookswitch Troubles

Hello all...

I have a Panasonic KX-TG2382 cordless phone system in good condition that is having hookswitch issues. I noticed the problem at first when answering calls--if the "talk" or "speaker" buttons were pressed on the handset to answer the phone, the telephone system would behave as though I had pressed flash or quickly hit the hookswitch (the dialtone would come on and pulse a few times before going solid). If I shut the phone off after attempting to answer the call, the line would start ringing again, and I could catch the incoming call with another (wired) phone.

If there is not a call on the line, and I turn on the phone to place a call, the phone may not come off hook for anywhere from several seconds to almost instantly. There are two handsets and both behave the same way, lending some support to a theory that the problem is in the base unit.

At first I suspected the handsets, but they're working fine. So I looked inside the base unit and started tracing the circuit, as that's where the actual "hookswitch" event would probably be handled. There's a transistor on the board in the base unit that appears to do the job, marked "A1625" on its casing. From what I can tell, it should be a "KSA1625" high voltage switching transistor.

Am I right in thinking that little transistor might be failing after many years of helping to answer calls?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:09:15 -0500, "William R. Walsh" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I would suspect the relay (?) before I would suspect the transistor. I have seen modems where the reed relay contacts have stuck closed. Yours appears to be stuck in the open state. If you can configure your base unit for pulse dialing mode, try dialing a bunch of zeros and listen for clicking.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar