(OT) Would you pay $99.99 for a USED 1gb Flash Drive

Am I missing something, (like gold plating)

Or do they really think someone is stupid enough to pay $100 for a USED

1gb flash drive?

PNY Mini Attache 1 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive. Buy it Now for - Only $99.99 on Ebay

eBay item number: 131733242123

And for an additional $15.99 you can get a one year warranty on it.

-WOW-

But at least the shipping is Free....

And it has a "Make an Offer" option.

I wonder if they would accept my offer of $1.00?

I'm tempted to do it....

Reply to
oldschool

It depends. How many Bitcoins does it contain?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Wanna explain that....

This is about the 3rd time I've heard that expression "bit coins" in the last month. What the heck does that mean?

I'm not up on some of this stuff that is probably another facebook gag, and I would not touch facebook with someone else's computer on the end of a 10 foot pole.

I was thinking that this flash drive contains some pirated software though, like a Windows installer or something, but reading the docs on that webpage, no one would know what was on it, so what is the point. And for $100 you can nearly buy a retail version of Windows 10 (I think). I recall seeing it at Walmart for $129 a year ago.

Not that it matters, I'll stick with Windows XP and even Win98. I use both. Everytime I have to use the WIn 10 computers at the local library, I have to ask WHY? I can do the same things in XP with a lot less bloat, less CPU power, less hassle, and less much less tracking.

Anyhow, I can only think that this item is a joke. But it should have been posted on April 1. Ebay dont seen to care about prices. As long as an item fits their terms of service, it's listed. (sensible or not).

Reply to
oldschool

Bit coins are not a joke. You will have to research it for yorself to full details.

It is something to exchange money on the internet. A few years back they were not very expensive, but the value keeps going up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've got an old eBay listing on my wall at work, for two "Les Paul" oil- paper capacitors for buy-it-now price of $145. These are the huge ones about a half-inch diameter with color stripes. I don't even know how the seller determined they were Les Paul capacitors, but that apparently made them VERY special!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote on 6/7/2017 2:27 PM:

Not trying to give you a hard time, but where have you been for the last decade? Bit coin is a digital currency backed by nothing but what others will pay for it. While it has no real basis for its value, it is the same as other investments like art or gold, worth what someone will give you for it.

Bitcoin has been significant in the news for some time now being reported as used as payment for criminal activity and of more importance to users, one bitcoin exchange which was supposedly hacked loosing some millions of dollars worth of currency with no way to trace it... which I found odd since they can track bitcoin. That's also why it's odd that it would be used for criminal actions, it is traceable!

Whatever. I'm happy with the folding stuff.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Mike Paff

Hardly a day goes by where you don't once again prove how incredibly ignorant you are.

They have nothing to do with Facebook.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Because at the time the Les Paul guitars were made, they used the Sprague Black Beauty caps. They're crap, but these guys won't listen to reason. "Got'ta have 'em."

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

Like every other currency.

Like ever other currency.

Like every other currency.

Currency has value because of the real stuff you can buy with it. You can buy real stuff with it, because the seller accepts its value, because they can buy stuff with it. Exactly the same is true with bitcoins, but unlike cash, no physical artefact needs to cross a border.

The bitcoins are traceable, but the owner is not. Like cash.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I could answer that, but I'm trying to recharge my karma after a week of screwups and mistakes.

No, but there's a sucker and at least two crooks born every minute.

The secret to long life is to never waste energy resisting temptation.

The high prices are not an accident, robotic anomaly, or conspiracy. You can sort almost any popular item by price (high price first) and see many absurdly high prices. This should explain some of it: There are other reasons, such as money laundering, price-bots gone insane, and putting a temporary hold on sales, without dropping the listing, while the owner goes on vacation. I did the last one once (and only once) when I had some test equipment for sale that I didn't want to relist. So, I priced several items at 10x what they're worth and left the area. When I returned, I discovered that someone had "bought" one of my overpriced items. It wasn't difficult to cancel the sale, especially since the buyer was shopping with a stolen credit card number.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the link. I now know I will avoid bitcoins. Sounds like a big game and likely a scam,or at least someone profits from it, and everyone else pays a sucker fee.

Reply to
oldschool

You have your head in the sand.

I'm sure the early trading economies encountered more than a few people like you when they started to move from IOUs to exchangeable tokens. "Why would I give you these nice vegetables for this inscribed chunk of clay, or that paper?"

That's all cash is, tokens. That's all Bitcoins are, too.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's not a scam. It has been around for a long time now. There is long term growth in the value of bit coin, which is not required for it to be useful. That's not to say there aren't scammers out there to use bit coin in some way that will rip you off, but you don't need bit coin for that to happen.

But because there is nothing to set a value on bit coin, the value can go up and down with events that cast it in a good or poor light.

--

Rick C
Reply to

------------------

** Means they were extracted from a 1950s Gibson "Les Paul" guitar amplifier.

Commonly known as " bumble bee" caps.

I had a couple of leaky ones a while back and threw them out.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

------------------

** Forgot the pic:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Egads. They're everywhere:

Eventually, they hatch into something else:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yea, but cash is controlled by the government, making it safe. Not that the government is always right, but unless the economy collapses, a dollar will always be worth a dollar and can be used anywhere in the US and many other parts of the world.

Reply to
oldschool

Actually, NO. I have some identical drives and they are 1gb. The reason I was looking at them, is because I want to buy some of them

1gb drives, if they are about $1 or $2 each. The reason is because I made some linux bootable flash drives. I just plug them into the USB and can boot to Linux instead of Windows. I dont generally use Linux, but if Windows wont boot, they are a handy way to retrieve data, and sometimes even fix Windows.

For some reason, I can NOT make these bootable drives on any flash drives larger than 2gb. They just dont work....

I paid $150 for a USED 10 mb hard drive in 1990. Thats MEGAbyte, not GIGAbyte.

Yep, some older digital cameras wont take cards larger than a specific size. I have an older Canon, and I cant use cards larger than 16gb. Then again, I see no reason to use a larger card. I can get many thousands of photos on a 16gb card. I doubt I take over 1000 photos in a full year, and I dump photos to my computer at least once every 3 months.

Anyhow, in the case of *bootable* flash drives, it appears that computers DO have problems with "too large" flash drives.

BTW, I dont believe they make a 1tb (TERAbyte) flash drive. The largest I have ever seen in the stores and on ebay is 128gb. I do recall hearing they make or are working on a 256gb flash drive. If you want to talk about portable USB hard drives, yea, they go as high as 2tb, maybe higher, but not flash drives.

But if someone knows of a 1tb flash drive, post the URL.....

Reply to
oldschool

I paid about $ 600 for 2 of the 5 1/4 inch floppy drives and electronics to go in a TRS-80 computer. As long ago as that was, it was probably well over $ 1000 in todays money.

Some computers and othe devices that take storage devices do have probles with large 'cards'.

Same with devices where I worked had problems with newer computers. We programed many devices with a laptop. As the computers got faster, the old devices would not program. The timming loop timmed out before the old device could send or receive the data.

I keep a couple of old laptops around the house to program some of my things that the software is only in dos or I need some of the MCICA or whatever memory card slots.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery