OT: tvs and fires - article

....what do you think of this?

In my experience, the only fires I have seen in Tvs have been caused by:

-LOPTx internal short, over the years I've seen an old sony, a philips , a sharp and an Elbe sets with the line transformer practically ablaze.

-burnup at the yoke contacts, saw an LG with this, burning at the connections on the yoke itself, and a sharp where the main pcb was burning up where the yoke connected; in both cases a poor solder connection overheated and things developed from there.

-excessive dust and grime on the yoke coils,saw this on an ancient telefunken set... this produced smoke and, had i left it connected, probably would have started a blaze .

However, never seen any power supplies catch ablaze, i'd say sets in standby are less likely to catch fire than sets fully 'on', since in the latter more critical high voltage sections are in use.

-B

When I started working on electronics I was not aware of some of the safety procedures. I owned a 20 inch Sharp TV that had a problem somewhere in the MTS Decoder. Stero would not lock in. I connected my scope ground to a ground on the board and turned on the TV. Fire!!! The TV was toast. Power supply, tuner, microprocessor, dozens of traces, exploding caps, frying resistors, etc. I wasn't hurt, didn't burn down the house, and learned some lessons about isolation. But a TV in Standby? I'm sure it's possible, however not likely. There are live parts in the SMPS and a malfunction might even turn on the TV making the rest of the TV live. Or maybe a cat stepped on the remote turning it on (my cat does this sometimes).

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

simon hanlon

What I find hard to believe is this whole thing, based on isolated incidents. A huge percentage of all homes in North America at any given time have one or more TV's in standby mode...how many fires are we expecting?

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

Hi Tom...

What floors me is how incredibly lazy we've somehow become. :)

Apparently we can't once or twice a day walk all the way to the set and turn on a power button. Too far, too hard. Can't go any further than the remote. Or maybe can't wait the extra one or two seconds :)

What ever happened to the olden days "holiday" switch?

And has anyone considered the tremendous energy waste of millions of sets each needlessly burning up 10 or 20 watts?

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Yes. "Energy Star" rewards companies for making lower wattage electronics. It seems that evrything I own now says Energy Star which should indicate that I'm saving energy. Surely, If I had the same number and type of devices in my home TURNED ON 15 years ago, they'd probably use two or three times as much electricity. However, I might take the time to measure how much wattage is being used in my home on any given day when all of my electronics are "off" but in Standby. Lets see.....

4 Computer monitors - 2 LCD and 2 CRT always with an orange or flashing LED just waiting for a signal to fully power up 2 Computers, printer, router, DSL modem 3 Cordless phones Ceiling fan (remote controlled) 3 TVs and 2 Video monitors Microwave and Stove (with electronic controls) 2 DVD players, 2 VCRs, 2 cable boxes Home theater receiver and 5.1 speaker system with subwoofer that's always waiting for a signal so it can fully "power up" Garage door opener that's always waiting for a remote signal. Laptop computer. About 10 plug-in light sensing night lights ...and that's just the ones I can think of right now. I'd bet it's more than a 100 watt lightbulb for sure. I may start turning off my computers' power strips when they're not being used
Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

A major culprit are the class II transformers used in most of those things and most wall warts. Rather than using a thermal fuse, they wind them with a high impedance primary so they won't overheat if they short, but as a side effect they're only a pathetic 50% efficient and in most cases they're powered 24/7.

Reply to
James Sweet

The vast majority of TVs in the US have no way to turn of standby short of unplugging the set. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

There is that too, of course...

My TV is an older Thomson TX, with no remote capability. I switch channels with my DVD/VCR, but the TV requires manual turn-on. Ideally, if there was a battery (like in a PC) to hold settings, we wouldn't need standby (who cares if the set takes a minute to warm up?). Sometimes we continue to do things while failing to remember why we are doing them...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Yes. It's a LOT of energy.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Granted the old "instant on" tube sets used a comparatively large amount of power in standby, but has anyone measured the the standby draw of a modern set? Now I may just have to do that, I suspect it takes very little power to keep the microcontroller running, obviously some use a better design than others though.

Reply to
James Sweet