OT: TV/film scenario?

Anyone ever seen a cops+robbers/ thriller with the following scenario.? Someone gets "handcuffed" with nylon cable tie, around a water pipe or whatever . And then he uses his mouth and the clasp-pin of the conventional strap to his watch to disengage the pawl/latch of the cable tie and free his hands and then escape

Reply to
N_Cook

So, what are you planning? Nevermind; don't want to know... ;-)

If he can get to the cable tie with his mouth, I'd guess that it would be faster/easier just to chew through the nylon strap. On the other hand, this would be taking place in the universe where locks are routinely picked with a random piece of wire and a couple of jiggles, so I suppose your scenario is no less unfeasible -- especially if the Bad Guy was courteous enough to clip the protruding end so that Our Hero only needed to pull through the remaining couple of mm.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Similar on AMC's "Breaking Bad" series where Bryan Cranston's character BURNT through his cable tie handcuffs to escape. Amazingly he never placed any item between his flesh and the melting/burning cable tie as a shield, but oh well added to the empathetic pain the viewer 'enjoyed'

Reply to
RobertMacy

I saw this -- absurd!

He shorted the ends of a cut AC cord to create an electrical arc. Problem is, had the arc been sustained, the breaker would have blown long before the cable tie was severed.

Yet another technical/scientific error in a series rife with them.

For those not aware, it /is/ possible, with small screwdriver (or some other little pointy thing) to release the lock in a cable tie, so you can reuse it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

They don't use TyRaps. The "disposable" cuffs have tactical features that preclude opening them as easily as the metal ones (safety pin).

Reply to
dave

yes, was absurd, because he drew the arc across the insulating cable tie.

However, the breaker may, or may not, have gone off. Depends on the kind of breaker.

Years ago, in our bedroom we had a UL approved extension cord plugged into an outlet adjacent to the bed. Nothing plugged into the cord, just there for when we needed it. The outlet was fairly new and also labeled UL approved, and both probably were since this is a bit before China products influxed the market.

Ms. Macy was sitting on the edge of the bed and declared to me, across the room, "What's that noise?" Sounded like a zit, zit, zit, or such. She continued to listen for the origin as I moved around the room searching for the origin of the strange sound. Suddenly a loud sounding arc started between the blades of the extension cord plugged into the outlet. The arc carbonized the plastic and continued the process getting bright with flames suddenly going up the wall adjacent to the curtains! I immediately unplugged the extension cord, probably stupid to reach in without proper precautions, but the action worked, the arc stopped and the flames disappeared.

Upon examining the outlet, it was clearly obvious an arc had burned a trail across and through the "UL approved" material. Had we not been there at that exact time and circumstance we could have easily lost much of our

100 year old home containing wood that is now VERY dried out!

I was livid went back to where I had purchased the outlets and extension cords [actually a very reputable hardware store] and they were as flabbergasted as I was. Later, upon relating the incident to a fireman, he told me that was something like the cause of 90% of home fires?! Say what?! I guess it takes a special breaker to prevent this scenario. Now there are 'heated' breakers that trip BEFORE such an arc can start. We have them as circuit breakers to all the outlets in all the bedrooms now.

Don't worry quite as much, but still worry.

Reply to
RobertMacy

About 15 years ago, a fire marshal (not Jim Carrey) warned me about the thermal breakers common in outlet strips. He said they often have a high resistance, and under heavy loads (though not higher than those the strip was rated for) could overheat and start a fire.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

No, but I did see an episode of "Cop's" where a skinny drug abusing woman slipped the handcuffs off and attempted to flee. Didn't get far. She got slammed on the ground for her attempt. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

they sure do.

I've seen multiple fires (limited to the power strip) caused by these pieces of junk.

Just came across a mini air compressor with a ~1HP motor (which of course said 4HP on the label) that kept cutting out. Resistance of the 17A push to reset breaker was almost 2 ohms, after being reset.

Not too surprisingly the thing would buzz loudly, never start, then trip. Somebody else replaced the breaker and it still won't start, but it doesn't trip now.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Well, a kid down in North Carolina was handcuffed behind his back in the back of a police car and managed to shoot himself in the head.

Of course the camera was turned off at the time.

Reply to
jurb6006