OT: Routing Calls over VOIP

I need to route the calls to my home phone over a VOIP connection so that I can travel and still recieve calls. I have a job that requires me to have a real (non voip) phone line to call so transfering my number to the voip box will not work.

Anybody have any ideas on how to impement this?

TIA

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

"Michael Kennedy" hath wroth:

Well, since you didn't bother to disclose what phone, what VoIP service, or anything about what you have to work with, with the added bonus of asking in the wrong newsgroup, I'll assume that you are also incapeable of using a search engine, reading the manuals, or asking your vendor. However, I can help somewhat with a little guesswork. It's called "call forwarding, not routing". Since your email address is at comcast.com, I'll assume that you have their Comcast Digital Voice service. How to do call forwarding:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Well I don't have any service or equipment at the moment. I'm looking for advice.

I have been searching on google as well as posted in a few forums online, but havn't found much valid info. Manuals talk about being able to call the device from a POTS line and it letting you use the VOIP for long distance and etc, but nothing about the opposite.

I asked here as well becasue there are usually some quite knowledgeable people around this newsgroup.

I'm essentially wanting to set up a voip server without any voip provider.. Just strictly a point to point service connecting me to my home telephone over the internet.. I have only found one solution to this and it involves setting up a linux server with astrisk and a FXO / FXS card.

Call fowarding is not exactly the solution I was looking for but I am famailar with it. Thanks anyhow for the reply.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Oh and Jeff, sorry that my first post was not very clear on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Save yourself a lot of trouble. Get a SKYPE-IN number and forward your unaswered calls to it.

Then all you need is a PC with a network connection for VOIP. No software hassle, no dealing with Asterisk, no special hardware and so on.

Second best IMHO is a Vonage or similar account and the PC option. Some companies will allow you to connect without an ATA and use a PC based softphone. Whatever you do it becomes more complicated than with SKYPE.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

get a cell phone....???

me