OT:ideas for oblique view tide-gauge ?

So not directly over tidal water , viewing horizontally the rise and fall of tidal water over mud flats. There is a change in light level , excluding fog, between veiwing the mud and veiwing the water. Night time there is a lot of street-light spill over , if moonless. Perhaps a web-cam , with masked off view of a vertical slot with range of angle from about -2 degrees to the horizontal , to about -50 deg, with no boats, reed-beds or anything else in the view, just mud or water. I assume it would be possible to digitally determine the "terminator" as it moves up and down and initially generate a look-up table comparing to a proper tide-gauge nearby, for the heights corresponding to the image. Any other ideas?

Reply to
N_Cook

Rotate a polarising filter in front of the camera, look for differences in the light reflected by water and mud?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thats an interesting idea, but would that be sunlight only and rather variable angle during the day? I'm thinking of that early Viking navigation instrument of 2 slabs of felspar on a viewing tube, to know the time, by rotating one wrt the other.

Reply to
N_Cook