OT:how to delaminate laminated paper?

Browned plastic, perhaps 1970s, covering still fairly white paper. Inserting a razor , only wants to split the paper into 2. Hot air seems to just distort the plastic

Reply to
N_Cook

Can you scan it and correct in photoshop etc then reprint new ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Depending on how valuable, you could try the method for restoring plastic computer cabinets:

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I suspect the paper is shearing into to two layers: top stuck to something, bottom stuck to something, and the paper layer itself is failing.

If you want to 'dissolve' the paper use straight bleach, soak for a while, rinse. the bleach will destroy the cellulose fibres so the paper will peal off just like you were accomplishing with a razor blade. Check for excessive temperature rise, and rinse early if gets too hot.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Freeze it to embrittle the adhesive?

Reply to
Rich Webb

Sorry, I'm trying to salvage the paper for posterity, not the plastic wrapping. In comparison removal of old browned selotape is a doddle, warm with hot air and then nullify the gum by rubbing-in talc.

Reply to
N_Cook

That was the next I was going to try, shame I've no access to liquid nitrogen, anyone handled flowers after being dunked in it ?. Is glue part of the lamination process?

Reply to
N_Cook

Both the hot-roller and peel-off-sticyback lamination sheets have some kind of glue. Freezing is probably non-destructive with respect to the paper (although down to liquid N2 temperatures? Don't know.) I'd try just leaving it in a regular freezer first and then move on to dry ice if that didn't work. Maybe invert a container of "canned air" (don't try this at home kids!) to freeze just a corner to see if there's any change in the adhesion.

Reply to
Rich Webb

You may have access to liquid nitrogen - if you are in a city of any reasonable size they should have businesses for making liquid oxygen for hospitals. When I was a kid I would ride down to the local Liquid Air pland and get a thermos of liquid NO2. Not sure today if it is that easy, but never hurts to ask!

Here in Vancouver there are many users of NO2 - here is one application:

I'm sure you can find more! Search Liquid Nitrogen and your city & state and see what turns up...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

It's unlikely you need anything that cold, plus it's most likely going to be a PITA to get, and may just destroy the paper along with the plastic. You can't easily "sort of cool" someting thin with liquid nitrogen anyways.

Try to find a small chunk of dry ice or a can of freezy spray for electronics (this is sci.electronics.repair).

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Tried freezer spray then hammer on an anvil, no breakup. Considering the paper is virgin white, unlike any contemporaneous paper, perhaps leave it in its protective wrap. Then hope the degree of browning of the plastic over more decades is less than the paper browning, plus scanning for conservation of data purposes

Reply to
N_Cook